1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

paint own truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by stressed, Jan 14, 2010.

1. stressed

stressed LawnSite Member

i have 2 trucks,one maroon and one black...id like to paint the maroon one black do i will have 2 black trucks..to have it done professionally it is 3-4 grand.Thinken about painten it myself...any ideas
  2. walmart $.99 spray cans.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

if you know what your doing and take your time it should come out pretty nice. dont rush it and dont cheap out when buying the paint either
  4. mini14

mini14 LawnSite Member

get a good spray gun and a respirator, i do mine every 3 years. i do just the bed 8 x 12 x 48 inside and out 2gals paint and reducer, hardener, $300 scratch it up mask and paint 4hrs.
  5. Panhead

Panhead LawnSite Member

Don't spray can it cause it will look like garbage. Get a decent spray gun and good paint, it'll last you more than 3 years. And money will be well spent.
  6. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

The trick to doing a DIY paint job is to do it anywhere but outside,even if you have sheets of plastic set up around the truck to keep the wind out, and never use anything that comes in a spray can!! The finish will not last, and will turn out dull with lots of orange peel, Plus it will chip and peel off over time. no matter how great the quality of the spray paint. You can get cheap regular auto paint at any auto paint shop. Or you could try to get a vocational school to do it, usually they will do it for just the cost of the paint.
  7. NMS0219

NMS0219 LawnSite Senior Member

$3-4k to paint a pick up truck???? wow thats high. around here its about 1k for a single stage paint job. If you go 2 part base plus clear you might be near $1600. I just went today to the bodyshop to get a price to paint a gmc 6500 forestry bucket truck quoted me $2k. Thats alot of truck to prep, prime, and paint.
  8. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

Was that just for the cab or was it for both the cab and chassis?
  9. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

If your doing it yourself it don't matter what paint you get, it will look like azz no matter what.
  10. NMS0219

NMS0219 LawnSite Senior Member

that was for the whole truck.

bucket truck.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2010