Paint peeling on deck after 1st year

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by gps_jetskier, Apr 23, 2005.

1. gps_jetskier

gps_jetskier LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure what happened to my first post. So I'll post again.

I bought this as a left over model. The mower is an 02.
    I mowed with it in 03, and the paint on the deck starting peeling slightly at the one edge. Ok, no biggie. Had it in my head that maybe it was something I did to it. :confused:

I mowed with it last year in 04, and the paint was starting to peel in other areas too. Ok, not a huge deal, but not real good either. :mad:

This year I've mowed twice and now I'm concerned. The mower has a whopping 35.4 hours on it. The deck is peeling around both edges. Under the deck by a pulley too. I think it's going to just start peeling all over and rust up. :angry:

Do we have an issue with the paint on these? The paint peels up and it's just paint -no primer under it. I have a 93 John Deere 670 estate diesel and it doesn't have any paint issues. They both sit in the same nice dry barn. There's something funny about this I think. Any suggestions? i've attached some pictures.

gps_jetskier

left_sm.jpg

top_sm.jpg

right_sm.jpg

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You need to get your unit to your dealer, he can then take some pics and forward them to our customer service department, they will review them and take the proper action.
    We did have some paint issues on some units, this has all been eliminated since we have gone to a powder coat paint finish, your unit is not a powder coat unit.

Pj

3. gps_jetskier

I think they are going to laugh at me when I take it in....

What's everyone's take on THESE pictures? Should I be concerned?

4. gps_jetskier

Is there any way to get THESE pictures forwarded to the customer service department to see if it's even worth pursuing with the dealer? It's alot of work to load it on a trailer to take to the dealer only to say it's my problem. Keep in mind I'm a residential guy. Not a pro. I'm sure they'll charge me to pick it up.

gpshemi

5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I have forwarded this post to our guys back at the factory, I am awaiting a response.

Pj

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I have my :eek: eyes :eek: on this issue to see how a good company handles this.

Yes, I'd be concerned because it's flaking down to the bare metal like mine is (also new). Professionals tell me that in my case the factory must have just decided to skip the whole "prep" process and just squirt them red.

To beat all, this brand is supposedly powder coated, which is bull crap!
    This one is not!

This also starts on the corners and every part on the mower has this problem.

[​IMG]

7. gps_jetskier

Mowerconsultant has told me the factory will stand behind the paint issues. He said to take the mower to my dealer. I will try and get that arranged here yet today.

gps_jetskier

8. Envy Lawn Service

Congrats to Hustler. Yet another speedy, well handled issue.
    Be glad you all invested in a Hustler.

My paint complaint, along with other complaints, is now 37 days old.
    The MFG breached warranty a few days in.
    We are still trying to negotiate a settlement. :rolleyes:

pp15.jpg

9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Envy your paint issues besides being very minor from the pics anyway, look more like wear or user "error" than it does flaking.

10. Envy Lawn Service

MMLawn,

Seems you never fail to come up with a "smart" remark. You have no idea how major/minor my paint issue is, because it's not sitting on your trailer. But it could be, and since you think this is minor... I'll make you a good deal in it if you want it!

Fact is, there is no such thing as a minor paint issue, when the issue arises from lack of surface prep before painting. What you really have in my case is a PROGRESSIVE problem. It starts as under-paint corrosion or a hair line crack. You may notice it once it's a chip the size of a piece of rice. Next thing you know you have a spot the size of a milk cap... and on to what the Hustler looked like here... and on... and on...

As far as your other comments, yeah sure.... that's the kind of wear you expect on a brand new machine that's only been wet once. Yeah, paint wears off the back of castor forks, pulley covers and other non-rub points... sure it does. :rolleyes:

But the operator error thing.... yeah, you hit that nail right on the head. Someone in charge of factory operations made an operator error. They decided surface prep, primer, ect, just wasn't nessasary to make them red.

With mine it's not any one part like the deck.... it's every part on the machine. Mine's not the only one either! I've been mower shopping lately. Saw one brand new one in orange paint Saturday... saw a couple of dime-sized spots on it. Today, saw another red one and another orange one... same thing. It starts popping off after a good day in the sun.

As for the flaking... guess you didn't notice the peel hanging down by my middle and index finger? Check this one out from the other side!

8.jpg