Paint Question

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by ROLLINGTHUNDER, Aug 21, 2006.

1. ROLLINGTHUNDER

ROLLINGTHUNDER LawnSite Member

May sound funny, but I have a question that has been bugging me.
    I just purchased a Toro Z midmount with a 60" deck. Posting here because I have heard that both the Toro and EXMark come down the same line.

On my frame, right underneath the foot assist deck lever is a weld joint that joins the side frame to the front cross member. Also, there is a corner brace there. I purchased the unit brand new and it appears that some sort of acid ran out of the hole between the weldments and screwed up the paint at the joint. Two jagged wrinkled lineds down both sides of the weld. Also the paint around the joint area (aprox 2" by 2" is a shade different). Yea, I take care of my equipment and give it the intitial wax and periodic wash & wax, as I am a homeowner not Pro, who plans on keeping my Z for some years to come.

The paint area around the weld keeps bleeding red tint on my wax rag. No where else does this happen. Grinds my gears to pay that kind of money for one of the "top of the line" units and have the paint screwed. I know if I keep washing and waxing this area that the paint will wear through. I had my last Toro Z for over 6 years before trading it in. It looked showroom new on trade.

Are the frames painted or powder coated? What would cause this? Anny suggestions?

Regards
    B

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hello,
    Everything we paint is powder coated. It sounds like the surface in this area was not cleaned to the point where the powder would adhere to the surface. Or the powder got inside the framework and did not get baked on. It both cases you might see some bleeding.
    International Red is the touch up paint that is used for the Toro line.
    If you have any questions please let us know or contact your Toro dealer.
    Thanks,
    Brian

3. ROLLINGTHUNDER

ROLLINGTHUNDER LawnSite Member

Thank You for the reply.

One more question.
    Would a heat lamp on the area, cure out the coating to the point that it would not bleed.

Thanks For the Prompt Reply,
    Greatly appreciated.

Brian

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

I really don't think the heat lamp will work.