1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Paint the pink lawn care van another color?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DiscoveryLawn, Jul 14, 2005.

1. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Someone backed into the side of my van causing some minor damage. This presents an opportunity to paint the entire van another color (white) since it will be in the body shop for a week anyway.

I have had a very difficult time gaging the success or failure of the pink van concept.

Here are several positive results I would like to mention:

1. The van is easily seen coming or going from great distances.
    2. Most people look at the van and I can see them read the side of it as I pass.
    3. Those who have seen the van just one time will remember it.
    4. It initiates conversation.
    5. Discovery Lawn has established brand recognition in a heavily saturated area as the guy with the pink lawn care van.
    6. My existing clients love it and seem to be proud to tell their friends they have the guy with the pink truck doing their lawn. Those whom I have mentioned painting it another color asked me not to.

Here are several of my apprehensions about staying pink:

1. The van does not generate unsolicited phone calls. When I was white with colored letters I often got calls from people who said they got the number from my truck. Since I have been pink that has only happened once in 18 months.
    2. I am concerned that passersby do not take me seriously therefore never call on me when they need an estimate.
    3. I fear that the truck does not project a professional image.
    4. I literally get laughed at and made fun of several times through out the day. My ego can handle it But if people are laughing at me and blatantly shaking their heads what does that say about what they think of my company?

In summary:
    It seems as though the color has helped my existing clients generate a referral for me. However, the van has done nothing to generate calls from people that do not already have some connection to me. As a matter of fact I FEAR that people are repelled by the pink van. Although, I do not KNOW it to be true.

What are your thoughts?

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i remember the old thread, as long as you are secure in your masculinity, keep it pink man i think its a great way to seperate you from the rest of the pack.... good luck
  3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

you could always go with Fire engine red...Still be easily seen coming or going. you would Not blend in with the rest of the white panel trucks/vans used by everybody else. You'd still be staying close to the Pink heritage...

You can use white or yellow/gold lettering to get good contrast. with the darker background....

I had a white C/K2500 but had a Grey Trailer it was a bit different...but In florida any other color other white was muder in the summer time... but If I parked the truck by itslef int he barking lot, if not for the stakesides and tint windows I blended in.
  4. betterlawn

betterlawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

How about planting sod on the roof?... Just don't take it on the highway. The question then is how do you mow it? :dizzy:

If I see red/blue/brown I'm not going to think yardwork, more like plumber or something. I don't know - maybe just me.

It seems like your stuck with white/yellow/green or some combination. Obviously if you want to stick out, pink/purple/lime green, etc. work too.

What about the strip idea someone else had in the other thread? Except maybe a green van with a big pink stripe. Kind of the best of both worlds...
  5. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

If your business is doing well then don't take what I say too seriously, but I'd be one of the people from numbers 2&4 above under your apprehension list. Pink just doesn't make sense to me. What about a bright yellow with some graphics of green grass clippings?
  6. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

looks to me like your list of pros far out weigh your con list.

what ever you decide i agree you got to keep some pink....i like the pink stripe idea
  7. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

david, since i've had the pleasure of seeing your van several times, i'd still hold with my suggestion to have a professionally-designed logo done and then applied to the truck. i think that would balance the contrarians a bit and increase the professionalism.

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

How bout 1/2 pink and the other 1/2 white.passenger side pink ,drivers side white?
  9. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

neon green
  10. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

I believe you mean "Safety Green" ;)