1. finnegan

finnegan LawnSite Member

Just wondering whats the best type of paint that will stand up to another buffalo winter?

2. JCurtis

JCurtis LawnSite Senior Member

Hey finnegan,

Have no idea what paint would hold up to a Buffalo winter, maybe IMRON the stuff they paint planes with???

If you find something that works for you, let me know. I will immediately paint all my plows with it. I will never have to paint them again.

No way, we are ever gonna have as much snow as Buffalo.

Think SNOW

3. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

I get as much as Buffalo.
    More (on average).

Paint. Maybe Chuck would know something. I've never had paint that won't wear off in time. However, we get about 3 seasons on our Boss plows before repainting them. I don't know what they are using.

4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

You're starting to know me John. Am I that predictable? ;)

There is a great paint on the market. It's even brake fluid proof. It MUST be applied wearing a respirator. Even outdoors, you NEED the respirator. It's nasty stuff, and VERY TOXIC, but it is the absolute best. The last time I bought it it was $30 a quart. In fact, I haven't painted my plow in 4 years. It holds up that good.
    It contains isocyanates (sp?). They are nasty, because they build up in your body, the same way lead does. Paint thinner won't take this stuff off your hands. Aircraft paint stripper, takes 17 hours to soften it. Acid even takes hours before it starts to eat at it.

It's an MCU (Moisture Cured Urethane). There is a primer version, that you can paint right over rust with. Unlike all the products that claim to "seal" rust, this stuff really does. You can even use it to seal pinholes in gas tanks. A few coats to build it up to about 8 mils is best. Then you apply the top coat version. It comes clear, but you can add pigmanets to it to make it any color you want. They also sell it in black, but you could just add black pigment to the clear coat. The primer doesn't hold up to UV rays, so any topcoat will work over it. For the best results, you need to use the primer, then your color, then the top coat. I gave my plow 2 coats of clear, with a brush so I could lay it on thicker. The more you "build" with this stuff, the longer it will last.

You can't buy it in stores, and it's for "industrial use only". I got mine at a swap meet, at Raceway Park in Englishtown NJ. There was a dealer in West Milford, but I can't locate him now. Let me try to find more info about where to get it, as my supply has dwindled.

Oh yeah, this stuff passes a salt spray test with flying colors. I mean about 32 hours of salt spray, with no adverse affects. A salt spray test is when you gouge an X in the painted surface down into the metal. It is then sprayed with salt for hours on end....

It's called Mastercoat. It's MCU.

I'm hoping to become a dealer in the near future.

~Chuck

5. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Hey Chuck I think he's just painting a plow not the space shuttle,also he would like to be alive and using his plow when he was finished not quarentined in some hospital for exposure to toxic substances.

6. iowastorm

iowastorm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Digger: If you don't use a good quality paint, you'll never have a solid surface to place your stickers.

7. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

To our Iowa friends: Thanks for my LOL of the day! Maybe we should send Chuck down to NASA. They could sure use his help. Nah... Lets keep him here with us, we'd appreciate it more, and they'd end up wasting his talents. Think snow!!!

8. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

iowastorm is right. You want those fancy stickers on a nice smooth surface! Finnegan asked about the best, and MCU is the best. It's not that bad. So what if I can't bend the fingers on my left hand anymore.... I didn't need my left hand use anyway. I'm right handed ;)

~Chuck ;)

9. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

yea Chuck I would love to know where you can get that stuff just got done painting my plow but i have the back to do yet.

10. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

If ya want a less toxic paint. I just don't want to have to list a substance like that in my MSDS sheets. Go with the Meyer/Diamond paint, it holds up well.

Geoff