Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by thelawnkid, Oct 15, 2004.

1. thelawnkid

thelawnkid LawnSite Member

This winter I am going to be doing alot of work on my stander, and my laser z. Both mowers need paint, so I am going to paint the whole machine. And I was wondering what type of paint will be the best, and most durable.

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Just use acrylic enamel, add the reducer and a few ounces of hardener to the cup. Make sure you sand and prime everything, but what worked best for us was to disasemble everything and sand blast it. Paint it, then reassemble. It really depends on how much time you want to put into it...Basically all you are doing with paint on that type of machine is putting a new dress on a old *****....
  3. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Best is a two part urethane base such as delthane. Its very expensive. Any automotive paint is rather high even acrylic enamels. Most cost effective route is use an alkyd (oil based ) paint. Its available at farm supply stores and paint stores.You can get it at most lumber yards too. It is slow to dry . The overspray is very sticky. But its cheap and durable. It is more suceptable to chalking if left outdoors. Cost about $25 per gallon including thinner. about 1/10th or even less than automotive paint.
  4. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

really for durability powder coat would be the best choice, you might can drop by a local body shop and get some ideas and maybe a better price on paint