1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

painted concrete

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by TPnTX, Feb 28, 2008.

1. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a big problem. A decrotive concrete sub did a job for me, they extended a patio and poured a new sidewalk and it all has a rock salt finsh.

The orginal plan was to use a dry stain type finsh. You put down a powder substance and the seal over it. The existing patio was done this way however the customer didn't like it much.

So the sub talked us in to what they called "spray deck" Turns out the term spray deck is really a texturing process. A lot of times it's then painted over.

So what the sub did was paint all this concrete using a water base paint and now it's coming up pealing all over.

They came out yesterday and pressure washed it. There are still big areas that haven't come up yet. They want to re-paint but I'm saying not so fast.

I know with a pressure washer you can take even good paint off anything. This paint that has come off either came up easily or sometimes you had to try a little.

The areas that haven't come up is what bothers me. Not only am I worried it will peal up later but also what made the peal in the 1st place is still not known.

Im thinking ahead here of maybe a worse case situation. Getting all the paint up and staining.

Does anyone know the best way to get paint up off a concrete floor. I know I can pressure wash it but if it doesn't come up easily then its going to be hard as hell to get it off.

There are concrete grinders. Floor strippers etc.

Anyone ever done something like this?
  2. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Heat, or chemical paint remover. I would try a environmentally friendly product. You could also sand blast it off. Need to rent one of those.
  3. stvnbc

stvnbc LawnSite Member
    from NC

The sub obviously has no idea what he should be doing. He should have stained it in the first place...stain and seal.

I would ask him to get the paint off then stain and seal it. A good pressure washer should do the job and will probably be easier than anything.

If you do it and use a chemical remover make you you clean it thoroughly several times over before staining.

Your only other option would be to grind it off...sunbelt rents an 8" hand grinder with a vac attachment.

you can go to this forum link and ask what to do....go to main discussion forum. This is a decorative concrete forum. There are a few guys on this forum who are some of the best and most experienced in the industry.

4. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

good deal, thanks man.
  5. stvnbc

stvnbc LawnSite Member
    from NC

Most of the guys on that forum are Elite Crete installers. They will tell you over and over to grind it all off and have an elite crete installer do an overlay, stain and seal. This would be a good idea because there are a few excellent systems that stand above the rest and Elite Crete is one of them. but having it reinstalled would time consuming and you would have to get your money back from the sub.

That is probably not an option at this point, so I would definitely find somebody to stain and seal it if he can't.
  6. mhilton

mhilton LawnSite Member

Ok this is what you do do not use any chemicals to get it off. Once you use a chemical on concrete it then soaks in and it is nea r impossible to get a good bond over it. So First try scraping it, Then try a grinder with a paint removal wheel it will not mark up the concrete, they usally sell them in the paint / sandpaper department at home depot. Then If you do not want to overlay you can use a product put out by scofield, it is a pigmented sealer made just for hiding blemishes, but do not forget to put a sharkgrit additive so it is not slippery. Just go on scofields site to find a distributor.