1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Painted Dixie Choppers problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bluegrass Lawn Service, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Bluegrass Lawn Service

Bluegrass Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I own 3 painted dixie choppers and every year at the begining of the season I paint them because of gas spills on the fenders. My thoughts for this season is to Rino Line them. Using the same kind of stuff used in pickup truck beds. It come in many colors including gray. Do you think this will work or not.
    I also think this would be one area the Dixie Chopper could improve.:blob2:
  2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

They did improve it by making the mowers with stainless steel fenders. Gas doesn't seem to have an affect on them.
  3. James234

James234 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

You can paint again and then wax. A high quality wax will not have a problem with gas spills. If you're lazy, repaint with a good epoxy. I prefer the wax solution.
  4. GreenStar

GreenStar Banned

rhino lining is really good stuff. i used this same material when i worked in a composite shop. it looks great and it tuff. they can put it on almost anything. i would go this route.
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

id talk to a dealer about how that might affect tradein and resale
    in the future. later now
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You could also just replace the fenders with stainless fenders. They're around $250 each.
  7. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

all 2002 choppers are stainless!
  8. NOT

The Rhino Liner sounds like a good idea.
  9. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

I believe I'd shy away from the Rhino lining if I were you. First, it's not a cheap option, and second how would you affix a decal to a Rhino lined surface. It would really affect the value of a machine to compromise it's original surface in my opinion(although I don't know how much value a painted DC has anyway), Not trying to be smart, but this is a homeowner machine not a commercial unit. If you're committed to doing this I think I would go with the new stainless fenders which in my opinion would add somewhat to these units valuel. My $.02 worth..........Lynn
  10. Are you sure the painted DC's are home owner machines? Cause no where does it ever specify that the painted DC's are home owner machines. The diff. between the SS and painted is you get less coolers, and air filtration.

From the little 36"/42" combo to the 72" diesel they are all commercial.