Painting a box truck

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by proenterprises, Feb 28, 2007.

1. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Heres the scoop.
    I am going to paint the box of my f350 to spruce up the paintjob before the lettering goes on.

Does anyone have experience in doing this. I was planning to simply clean off the box and then apply rustoleum. The surface is just sheetmetal. I am not looking for a "super" looking job, just want to cover up the crappy paint that is on there now. The dealer I got it from suggested to just use a roller and go about it this way.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

2. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

find a guy to sand blaster it usually can be done with paint for 400 around here and can last a couple years looking good.

3. proenterprises

but i can do it for much less just painting over it? will this method work?

4. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

It would be really helpful if you specified what material you're trying to paint.

5. proenterprises

The box of the truck is sheet metal. Sorry for the confusion.

6. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

okay probably can't blast it just paint it then

7. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Can you post some before and after pics?

8. proenterprises

Thats what I was planning on. Do you think that rust-o-leum enamel will have any trouble bonding to sheet metal?

9. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

You will get a better paint job if you go to a paint supply store and buy a two part acrylic paint. It is two part because it comes with a hardner addative you can put in it. You can pick up an inexpensive gravity feed spray gun and hook your air compressor to it. This will allow the paint to bond to itself (and the metal) better an prodive you a better, more durable finish as well.

10. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

:waving: :waving: The two guys on the left aint waving, they're sanding-with 300 grit sandpaper! Sand it good, wipe down with mineral spirits, paint either with 2-part epoxy paint or rustoleum. Use a thin nap roller after first dabbing a little paint on each depression around rivets or bolt heads.:drinkup: :drinkup: