1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Painting A Walkbehind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by proenterprises, Sep 8, 2004.

1. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Im not sure if any one else here has done this before, but the paint on my exmark walkbehind is really tired and faded, and im planning on painting it in the near future.

Heres the plan:
    1) I have a DeWalt palm sander and Im going to get some coarse sand pads and sand down the surfaces which need to be painted.
    2) Prime the areas with Rustoleum.
    3) 2 coats of spray paint (Red)

Is it this simple or did I mess somthing (s).

2. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I did this last winter here is a thread from it. The paint is holding up decently on the top but on the botton of the deck its starting to wear out. I would say a must for this project would be a hand held angle grinder with sanding disks, and wire brushes. I Also had a lot of rust that was really caked on that I used an air chissle to get it off. I used a rollar and brush instead of spray paint 1 reason being I couldn't paint outside because of the time of year and temps.
  3. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

As long as we're fooling around with the undersides of mowing decks, does anyone know anything about laying in metal to fill in the corners in most mowing decks that trap all the garabage?

I was thinking that if you blasted the underside of the deck and hired someone with a gas welder, they could lay in some metal that would fill in the corners so that the corners are more rounded and the clippings wouldn't stick so much (as long as your primer and paint are good).

Has anyone tried this?