1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Painting Equipment

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by PSUhardscaper, Jan 28, 2014.

1. PSUhardscaper

PSUhardscaper LawnSite Member

I'm looking for tips and advice on painting equipment - specifically two deck-over equipment haulers. The paint is in bad shape - lots of chipping and now rust taking over, although no rot as of yet. I've been looking into getting them professionally sandblasted and painted, but I figured I'd see if any of you have less expensive alternatives that have worked out well for you. Thanks!

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

3. larryinalabama

Tractor supply has "tractor paint" for less than 40$ per gallon.

As far as major bead blasting it will be cheaper to find a place that does that, cheap paint guns are at Harbor Freight, no big deal if you don't get them clean you can throw them away.

Eastwood that I posted has alot of rust solutions, Ive used most of them with success. Autozone has a product in a spray can called "rust fix" that's great if you don't have a lot of area to cover.

4. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

I've used por15 on my equipment trailers, dump beds and stake body. It's held up great so far. The trail and dump beds were sandblasted first. With the steak body we just took a wire rush to any place with rust or damaged paint
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Careful with POR15.

It CAN NOT be exposed to ultraviolet rays. In other words - it can not be exposed to sunlight.

I used POR 15 on my Jeep's frame. See, the frame is under the body. Where there are no ultra violet sun rays :)

6. DVS Hardscaper

You can rent a tow behind air compressor and do the sand blasting yourself. I have in the past. The rental company will have to supply you with a wand for blasting the sand.

It is very messy, you will have to do it outside. Sand will be everywhere.

Really for a trailer, you could probably wire brush much of the rust off.

I have a dump truck body that looks like he!!. And needs the rust removed and painted. I don't have time.

7. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

just paint over it

8. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

I had good luck with a wire wheel, rustoleum rusty metal primer, and a $50 husky gun from HD.

You just need it to look less rusty from 10' away right? Its not a show car.

Ill see if i can find the thread of the skid steer i did

9. DVS Hardscaper

I did that too :)

It's not 100% what people believe

10. larryinalabama

Paint is too expensive not to do good prep work