Painting Equipment

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by PSUhardscaper, Jan 28, 2014.

1. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

2. LWG

LWG LawnSite Member

I had the arms pulled off of my T-200 to be rewelded. They were a mess, with cracks in the steel and lots of rust. I gave the shop some POR to put over the rust. I asked them to just knock off the surface rust with a wire wheel, and roll the POR on. I gave them two spray cans of Bobcat white spray paint. The repair has held up great for 2 years. The arms take a lot of abrasion from trees, brush and logs. It looked great when they were done, and still looks good. The repair shop was a welding and hydraulic shop that originally didn't want to do the painting, since they weren't equipped for sandblasting or painting. I would have done it, but it made so much more sense to paint the arms while they were off the machine.
  3. PSUhardscaper

PSUhardscaper LawnSite Member

RJ that looks awesome. I'd love to know more details on how you prepped, primed and types of paint used. I've got a mustang that could really use the same paint job. Any/all advice is appreciated - feel free to send me a PM.

4. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Prepped with a power wash, then a wire cup wheel etc on a 4" grinder, power washed again, then wiped down with degreaser/cleaner like alcohol that wont leave residue. Sprayed a primer, cant remember if it was rustoleum or from the auto paint place. I went to albert kemperle and they color matched the paint. Its EXPENSIVE but cheaper than from the dealer.

I also sprayed it with a clear.

The paint is showing wear and a few chips and scratches but i realize i did the paint a few years Go and these things live a hard life. Up next is my trailer thrn my dump truck box
  5. hitechlm

hitechlm LawnSite Senior Member

have it sand blasted then either powder coated or electric static painted. Both of these types are very strong types of painting.