Painting Gas Caps!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tony S, May 20, 2001.

1. Tony S

Tony S LawnSite Member

I'm sure I'm not the only one to have an employee mistakenly grab the wrong gas can and pour straight gas into a trimmer or other 2 stroke piece of equipment. Well, I just got done spray painting all the 2 stroke equipment gas caps florescent orange, as well as the 2 stroke gas cans. All the 4 stroke equipment gas caps are now blue and the gas can caps with straight gas are now also blue. I'm hoping this will cut down of the confusion about which gas can to grab when fueling equipment. Just thought I would pass this tip on.

2. AndrewLawn

AndrewLawn LawnSite Member

thanks tony,although I don't have any employees,I've made that mistake before,and I'll keep that in mind for myself :)

3. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

I locked up a trimmer running gas with no oil one time. As soon as it locked up the engine died. I took it back to the truck and poured the right mixture in. I messed with it a little, worked the oil back in the engine, then it fired back up.

Guess I got lucky.

4. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

:) Thats a realy good idea, I'm gonna go that. I've had a couple dopes run straight in 2 cycle stuff :mad:

5. lawnboykb

lawnboykb LawnSite Member

We have done that for years and it works....also we use paint markers to write stuff down like bolt sizes and such just to speed things up.

6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I use different size gas cans, the small ones are for mixed fuel, the larger ones are for gas.

7. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

What about your vehicles? One of my customers is and equipment and generator sales & repair outfit. They sell and service Cummins diesels, including the ones in Dodge pickups. A week or so ago, they were working on a Dodge 3500 Cummins. The guy who owned it let his kid use it and they filled up from E with straight gas. The service manager said the bill would be over $5k. :eek: And, no, it isn't covered under warranty. I asked.

8. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I also use 2.5 gal for mix and 5 gal for reg. But I also believe painting is a great idea.

9. CLARKE

CLARKE LawnSite Member

I got two size cans and i keep the mix on the right
    side of the truck and the REG on the left side of the
    truck right next to the gas tank on the truck.:cool:

10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I saw to vietanmese women the other day at a garage telling the manager they had put diesel fuel in a gas auto and needed a tow. Took him few minutes to understand what they were trying to tell him. Dont know what kinda damage this would do.
    Why dont you just write on the cans with a marker? If they still make the mistake put their noses in it lol. If they dont care or not paying attention it doesnt really matter what you do.