1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Painting Grass?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rcreech, Jun 20, 2007.

1. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

We are in the middle of a drought here in OH and no lawn work can be performed. I ran into an ad today about painting lawns using Green Lawnger which is a professional grade product. I called my Lesco rep and he said they carried a product called LESCO Green that would do the same thing. Do any of you have any experience with this product?
    I was thinking about offering this to my customers so they don't have to look at their dormant lawns for the next two months. Presenting it to them as you don't have to water to have a green lawn (they don't water anyway.. and won't). Probably more to my higher end customers. Any opinions out there?
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

The cost to do it will prohibit 99.9% of people from doing it unless you service a unique group of individuals.
  3. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah I know several NFL teams paint thier turf in the Fall

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

Turf paint is actually a dye and can get expensive and very messy on your equipment. you could use a 21-3-21 75% ppscu 2% Iron even with the lack of rain this or a similar product will still help to get you some color back.
  5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

From what I have been told this product is about $45/gal and 1 gallon covers 16K (or 8 oz/1000). Considering this is a special service, I was wondering why a person couldn't charge $120-140 for 16K. That is going over the lawn in two directions. The product will last for 10-14 weeks or until it is mowed off. That is good money! I was just thinking that if this would go it could be good income during drought.

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

It could work, you would have to come up with a sales campign for your clients and see how many are actually interested.
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We use the Lesco green to fill any spot that dies due to grubs, or if we scalp the bermuda. In winter we touch up rye grass after the first freeze is we miss areas. Keep in mind you need grass to paint can't paint dirt with the Lesco stuff.
  8. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Used it on a customer's lawn for as wedding. He had been watering the area around his house, so it was green, but the surrounding areas was brown from drought. Worked great. I could tell the difference, but neither he nor his guests knew it was just paint. Cost isn't bad, IMO. I think we pay $250 for a 2x2.5 gallon case, you get about 10k per gallon. Friend of mine uses it on a local little league field every year for the championships. Looks great on TV.

Just make sure you take the screens out of your sprayer or you'll kill your pump!!!
  9. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Thanks for the info. Couple of questions. How did you apply? Using a hose sprayer or boom? Did you go multiple directions? Any info would be greatly appreciated. How did you charge? I am just looking for something to do and to make a little cash while we all wilt away.
  10. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

the finer the spray the better the results.

keep in mind this dye will turn anything it comes in contact with green. including equipment, truck bed, clothing, skin, etc etc