Painting mower decks.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by proenterprises, Mar 17, 2006.

1. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I am preparing to pain the deck of one of my walkbehinds. After sanding it down, what is the best way to paint it?
    I was thinking a brush on rustoleum? Color is forest green.
    Thanks.

2. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

If you dont have an air compressor with a paint gun to use I would use a spray can.

If you brush it its going to look terrible. Dont forget to put a couple coats of primer on it.

3. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

what part of ct. are you from? i rebuilt my mower in the past/ i also painted cars for a living before i started landscaping, if you go to a dealer they have spray paint to match your mower, if like in my case you have a spray gun, and if its a scag, i would use croma base by dupont,, for scags its called catseye gold.. hope this helps you...

4. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

chroma base suc ks it will peel and chip in no time . spend a little more and get emron brand paint.it is what they use on airplanes .

5. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

emron is a two part right? It used in the boating industry as well. Does anyone have any off the shelf color matches for the exmark red color?

6. befnme

says here you can put imron on with a brush or roller :

http://www.autocolor.com/industrial_dup_imron.htm

7. scagwildcat

from nw. ct.

any paint will chip or scratch, its all in the prep, and most of the time if you notice when the paint chips, the primer comes up with it? if so its not the paint its the crap spray can primer that you used, also, why would you want to spend alot of money on paint when your just going to sratch the heck out of it from mowin, its a mower not a hummer!!!

8. scagwildcat

from nw. ct.

what you can do is take a paint chip off your mower and bring it to a auto body supply store, they can scan it and costum mix some thing to match.

9. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I painted my old walkbehind a few years ago. I painted it with a foam roller and a brush, it came out good.

mower walk.jpg

10. befnme

that looks real good .