painting my trailer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stonewall, Dec 21, 2000.

1. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of primer and paint do y'all use for repainting your trailer?

2. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Case/IH primer.

Case/IH 2150 Red for top coat.

3. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

The cheapet thing Home Depots got. Americas finest

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

I dont know how much painting you have done
    but 90percent of it is preparing surface.
    Not enough room here but read up.
    Then i would recommend rustoleum for
    a quicky job.

5. Add some Penetrol to your Rustoleum primer.

6. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

If you guys are gonna go to all that work to paint them you should do it right or not even bother.Home Depot selld nothing but crap that they spec out go to a place that sells the good truck or equipment paint you might spend a couple of dollars more but you will never have to be painting it more offen from the rust coming thru and sand blast your surface gets the rust out better.

7. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Can you give more details, Plymouthvaliant73?

8. mowin at the lake

mowin at the lake LawnSite Member

go to your local parts store and get the paint that matches your truck. you will need some self eching primer.

9. chrisbolte

chrisbolte LawnSite Member

Just use something that wwill keep it from rusting. Rustoluem is good.

10. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

First you will want to wipe the trailer down with a quailty wax and grease remover to get all the oil and other chemicals off. Then sand the trailer down with 180 or 220 grit sand paper. You could use a self etching primer but unless you have a lot of bare metal it is a waste of money. A primer of like that is used when something is bare metal to inhibit rust from forming it is expensive, and I do not reccomend it. There is another primer that fills in scratches so if you don't have a lot of scratches don't use it either it cost around 100 dollars a gallon. If you want to put something on the trailer before you paint it I would suggest putting on a primer-sealer. Then go ahead and paint the trailer. I would suggest you go to an automotive paint store and get a good automotive single stage paint. NAPA also sells good paint if you have nowhere else to go. A decent paint can be bought for around 100-150 dollars a gallon. You can buy better paint but I don't reccomend it for a trailer considering it can run almost 400 dollars a gallon. Hope this helps out.