painting or staining concrete

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Joyful, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Joyful

Joyful LawnSite Member

The concrete in my backyard is old - discolored, has some cracks, other than that, it is in good shape.
    I read some things about painting or staining the concrete, possibility stenciling to make it look better.
    Is that a good option? Does it come out well? Is it hard to do?

By the way, it's a large concrete area including the patio and areas around the pool.

Thank you for any suggestions to make my backyard look better. :rolleyes:

2. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Joyful, it is a good option, and it comes out real nice. I don't believe it's all that cheap, but certainly cheaper than ripping out the old and putting in new. I think you can probably count on around $5/sf.

3. Joyful

Joyful LawnSite Member

Thanks for the feedback.
    That is NOT cheap!
    Has anyone tried doing it themselves? Know where to get advice on how to do it?

4. burnandreturn

burnandreturn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Germany

Some friends of mine tore up all the flooring in their home and did a staining deal of multiple colors, looks great. They put area rugs in the places that needed cover. Their floor was not in good shape either. Lot's of cracks. The cracks added to the effect.

I also know someone that built a new home and did the stain thing and they scored the concrete and it looks like tile.

5. joe2106

joe2106 LawnSite Member

I would reccommend some type of coating. In the midwest we use kolorstone and the results are great. It is usually appplied by spraying through a drywall hopper/compressor. Unending colors/patterns are available. See if you can find anything on it. The producer is United Products in Nebraska.

The cost in minimal, one kit covers 150-250 sq ft and we sell it for around $50.

$5.00 a sq/ft is outrageous, but you are on the coast. Most replacement concrete jobs around here are $4.00/ sq/ft MAX.

Email me any concrete questions-I've been doing this a LONG time.
    Joe

6. BladesAway

BladesAway LawnSite Member
    from Ok

My 2 cocker spaniels stained my patio up pretty bad in the last couple of years. I used a Power Washer and turned it back white again then put a concrete sealer on it to keep it looking white. Looks new I am planning on using muratic acid on the driveway then putting the same sealer down on it.

7. Joyful

Joyful LawnSite Member

Great suggestions, thanks.

joe2106: Do you know where I can get kolorstone? I've tried searching but the United Products site does not tell me where I can buy it.

8. dproft

dproft LawnSite Member