1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Painting Toro deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ztrguy, Feb 19, 2008.

1. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

How many of you guys repaint your decks? I'm wanting to repaint my Toro deck. Any suggestions? Any advice? Thanks!
  2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

We don’t repaint our decks we rotate equipment. but if you are going to paint your deck. it’s a lot of work remove everything that is removaval. then sand blast the deck, then prime wait till dry good, then apply the paint told you it was a lot of work.:waving:
  3. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

With air tools it takes about 25 - 30 minutes to prep a deck for sand blasting.
    Once the sand blasting is finished, a well filtered air supply containing no water, can clean the deck of deposits in about 10 minutes.
    I use aerosol primer, oil enamel based to uniformly coat the deck prior to the color coat. Usually takes about 1/2 a can.
    Then with the spray gun, a minimum of three light coats will usually do the trick on the top/outer surfaces. Underneath receives a minimum of five.
    Then about an hour to reassemble/remount on the machine.
    I rebuild/refinish equipment all of the time and this really perks up the appearance of the deck.
    That said, all the effort is not typically returned when selling but I do it anyways. Besides, the beer tends to mitigate any fumes in the shop - so I'm happy.:drinkup:
  4. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

The deck is 4 years old and just needs to look a little nicer when on customers lawns. I have some spare time and it needs to be done. It's an awesome mower, but it's starting to show some wear. I would rather it look nice w/o that nice mower payment. Thanks for the tips! Keep them coming!
  5. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

we redid some push mowers once for fun, we did many of the above steps with scraping and sandblasting,. used spray can primer, but used a spray gun(hvlp system) to apply mower brand auto piant(kubota paint) that was at our dealer who redoes old tractors too. we had crazy kool looking kubota orage and grey snapper push mowers. they looked koooool for a long time till we finally killed them. we called them Kubappers
  6. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

just rattle-can it