painting truck

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnandplow42, Jun 25, 2005.

1. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

I plan on painting my 1987 chevy pickup. My friend is going to spray it for me. What are all the materials I'm going to need to do the job? Any help would be appreciated. thanks

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I've got a 74 short box I'm doing a body-off Restoration on. I've got a three by three box with primer,paint,reducers,hardners and thinners,There is $600.00 in this little box and that doesn't include any body filler,spot putty,or sand papper. I suggest you take your truck to one of these in and out paint places for 2 or 3 hundred and have it done.
    The only reason I'm doing mine myself is because its going to be entered in local car shows and when its all said and done I can look at it and say I did every bit all by myself. :cool2:

BTW, I'm knocking on the door of the better part of $8000.00 so far and the cab is still a bare shell.

3. CCWKen

CCWKen LawnSite Member

Don't got to the "in and out" places unless you plan to sell the truck within a year. The paint will be peeling by then. You'll also have to scrape paint from all your trim, lights and weatherstriping.

Let your painter buy the materials. There's more to buy than "paint". Depending on the paint job you want, the cost will range from $200 to $5,000 in materials. Discuss the quality you want with your painter. He should know what to get and how much of it. Shop materials will also be needed.

If he doesn't know, get someone else to paint your truck!

Ken Kopsky
    Custom Car Works