Painting your Trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Expert Lawns, May 26, 2003.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

What is the best way to go about painting a trailer? It's a 6x10 US Cargo Open trailer. I'm thinking spray paint is the best way? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have painted several of my trailers with spray cans. I get the "Rust Stop" brand that they have at Ace Hardware. Lookes fine when I am done, and it is cheap. I think it took about 10 cans for my 16x6.5 trailer with ramp. Buy one of those clip on triggers. You can wear your finger out in a hurry without one:D

3. Simone Lawn Service

Simone Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I also need to paint my open trailer soon. I think I'll spray the metal, but for the wood floor I'm considering rolling it (it's black) and putting some of that anti-slip grit you can buy to add to the paint.

4. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I usually paint mine in the winter so I use brush and small rollers for the easy to get to areas and spray cans for the hard to get. I might use all can but the ventelation is not there in my shop-1 gallon did my 10' and my 12' o yeah I wire brush and prime-They get done every other year-Harry

5. hunter

hunter LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

never paint your floor. But coat it once a year with linseed oil. Better protection for the wood and helps it last twice as long as paint.

6. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I spray all of our trucks. If you have a compressor, invest in a gravity gun. You can get them cheap on eBay. Buy a gallon of rustoleum, and some paint thinner. Sprays on quick ind effortless. Not only that, but your finger doesn't go numb from holding down the spray can button! :cool:

7. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

Do you also do the underside. If so do you use the same paint or some special undercoating?

Bryan

8. stevo22

stevo22 LawnSite Senior Member

i bought a 16x6.5 trailer last yr, dual axles, elec brakes, 4 foot expanded all the way around...only problem was that it was baby blue...the guy that i bought it from had it custom made, and it is heavy duty...very stout..not sure why it was blue..i sandblasted the blue off and the rust and shot black on it...tractor paint from tsc...looks pretty good too..painted the wood floor too...had to buy four new tires...couldn't pass it up...paid six bills for it, plus the new tires...made out like a bandit...hell there is almost that much in the axles and expanded..

9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I paint my trailer every year. I use 2 cans of black gloss spray paint.

10. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

Hey guys, I'm bumping this thread......

I just bought a red tandem axle open trailer and need to paint it. I want to either sand it down and repaint it a bright red color (its red now), or sand it down and repaint it a glossy black.....any suggestions? also, can I use a light grit attachment on my angle grinder to sand it down? thanks