pallets for firewood?

Discussion in 'Firewood' started by Guest, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

A buddy of mine breaks up pallets to use for heating his warehouse. He blends in split firewood too, but I was wondering how safe it is to burn pallets.....like what types of wood is used in making pallets?? (I know elms are) What do you all think? Thanks :)

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey canyon -- there must not have been any good lookin' chicks at the beach the day the SDPD busted you for 'pallet burning'. :laugh:

I was looking up sites regarding pallets .... most sites want to sell pallets, but I found a couple that said pallets are made of hardwoods, softwoods, and pine. We sell our pallets to a customer who owns a large pallet company here (for a buck a pallet). He says they make 'em out of whatever they can find. Sometimes pressure treated, but that's rare.

We go through over 200 pallets a year, so I keep trying to think what I can build..........only thing I've ever made out of pallets was a recycle bin for yard waste. Oh well.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Our main biz is lawn care (mostly using dry fert), and we go thru at least 200 tons of it per year. With the high cost of lumber, there's gotta be way to use pallet wood for buildings or something --- I saw an article a few years ago where a guy sided his house with aluminum beer cans. :laugh:

4. Guest

Guest Guest

We sell our pallets to a local pallet company for a buck a piece. We could probably get more, but this guy is a customer. After we get 3 stacks of pallets (about 100 pallets total), we call, and they pick them up. Easy, and they are gone/out of our way. BTW most pallet companies prefer the standard size...I think it's 40 X 48 inches?? Anyway, that's what we do.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks BPS. Good info. We sometimes get odd-sized pallets, and pallets that are falling apart......... our guy takes them too for repairing other pallets. We like to recycle as much as pssible. There's too much waste going on in this Country already. Thanks.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

You should sell them to a company that referbishes pallets and puts them back into the work stream. I know there are companies out there that do that. Not sure where.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Yes Pallets also make great bio mass fuel. They are already dry. That is probably what he is doing with them. I dont like them as mulch but they do put them into the mulch stream also.
    I am a volunteer firefighter, we use pallets when we train in out countys burn building. Pallets and straw. Last time we went out for a burn, we burned almost an entire 53' trailer full. If you are looking to get rid of them, think about donating them to a local fire company. I know we look for that kind of stuff every now and again. Its also giving back to your community.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

sounds like you have a good utube video :D. You are right some people are stupid.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

I was just kidding around. sorry if it came out wrong.
    not a part time fire fighter (they would be getting paid)
    Im a Volunteer fire fighter. (to help the community)(Great for buisness too)

10. Guest

Guest Guest

I thought it would be a great thing to do with some of my time that I had free after work when I first moved here. I joined just before I got going with my side work. Now the side work is too much. I have bairly enough time for it all. But I wouldnt have it any other way. Hoping to get caught up in the next month or two.