pallets of sod through 53" gate

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Stonewall, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

Any suggestions for moving pallets of sod through a 53" gate? I don't have access to a mini skidster and haven't found a tractor small enough to move them once inside.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. The Elements Group

The Elements Group LawnSite Senior Member

how many pallets? have you thought about removing a section of the fence? a dingo with the forksters will work or a skid will work if you remove a section of fence.. if not i would have to guess a three wheel device.. good luck

3. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

6 pallets. It's a custom iron fence that can't be taken apart.

4. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

i guess you will have to wheel barrow it in.

5. Okiebug003

Okiebug003 LawnSite Member

You might consider getting a heavy duty lawn wagon. I know that sounds silly but I was in your position a couple of years ago with 8 pallets to bring in a back yard. I bought lawn wagon for around $100, and it was worth every penny.

6. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

That's not a half bad idea. Too bad you couldn't find a larger one easily like you see at local garden centers.

7. Okiebug003

Okiebug003 LawnSite Member

Yeah it really did save alot of back ache. I bought it from lowes. It has the sides that flop down, bearings in the axles, and pretty big tires on it. For that kind of money I thouth it was worth the risk, and I still use to this day very rarely though.

8. FLCthes4:11-12

FLCthes4:11-12 LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure of the exact width but a Georgia Bugy will work fine. It is basically a big wheel barrow with a motor on it. You can normally rent one less than a hundred a day. Not near as good as a skid steer but better than carrying wheel barrow load at a time.

9. The Elements Group

The Elements Group LawnSite Senior Member

only problem with a ga buggy if you dump the sod out it is going to pile up in a mess and you willl spend some time picking out whole pieces ... since time is money but yes, that is an option good luck

10. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

either rent a dingo with forks or use a sub-compact tractor with a 3pt hitch load handler in the back (bought @ TSC for about $100). we used our kubota bx2350 extensively to build a retaining wall. With either you won't be able to move a full pallet at once. we could only move 1/3 of a pallet of block at a time, but it was much much faster than wheel barrowing it.

July2008 028.jpg