palm pilot or ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawndog, Feb 2, 2001.

1. lawndog

lawndog LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone out there in mower land is using a item such as palm pilot for keeping track of account info thru the day. I've been wondering if there is such a product that I could keep track of what I've done, how much time I spent,etc., on a hand held device and then be able to upload that info directly onto the computer for billing. Anyone know of such a product, a laptop would be too big.

2. I use a clipboard with pen and paper. On the back of
    copy of my contracts I have a printed form of my own design that keeps track of what and when I performed service throught the year. I put everything in a heavy duty looseleaf notebook with the daily workload seperated by file folders with tabs.

I don't see how a hand held will hold up in such an environment.

3. GREG R

GREG R LawnSite Member

I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM, AND DON'T KNOW IF THIS WILL HELP BUT CLIP MAKES A HAND HELD FOR THEIR LAWN PROGRAM, I HAVE BEEN USING CLIP FOR 3-4 YRS BUT NOT THE HAND HELD.I'M SURE
    OTHER LAWN PROGRAMS CARRY SIMILAR DEVICES.

4. Turfclippings

Turfclippings LawnSite Member

i looked at the Clip demo, today and they have the sveral versions out. One has the hand scanner that keeps track of all that and u download each evening and it will input and u dont need a paper and pen. each morning print out a list and go, it will start where u left off previous for such delays with rain or breakdowns, then u scan the sheet each stop and go. Looks like a great sytem and reasonable price. I am going to attempt this year.

5. I got the Palm IIIxe. I use it to list all projects that must be done and parts needed to do job. Recent sprinkler repair was a breeze as I had all info needed in the Palm and this cut down on time trying to remember if I got everything from the supply store etc. I do other stuff as well. Esp. scheduling, reminders, mileage, and spur of the moment windfalls that will be forgotten if I don't jot it down. I don't know how you will adapt to your particular needs, but it really helps me stay in tune at 40 years with a tinge of pre-alzhiemers! Don't know how I did without.

P.S. I'm a Franklin Covey Day Planner reject/has been and Palm saved the day!
    SURFS UP!

Aloha, P.Y.S

6. JVS

JVS LawnSite Member

I have the Palm V- Its great! I keep track of notes in the field & Schedule appointmentswith a beep! you can keep a ton of info in it. It comes with software and cradle that interfaces with your computer so the tranaction of info is easy. Very easy to use-, stores all info and you can use it in the rain! I recommend it.

Joe

7. capital

capital LawnSite Member

I use a Visor Palm Pilot. We are currently testing it for using quick notes on landscaping jobs we are going to have to bid. Its an ad on feature that looks like it will work well instead of pieces of paper all over the truck and offices. It also is a huge help in calling back clients who call through out the day but fail to leave there number so we can look them up on the client list. Like everyone said you can set your apts up and also track your job schedules for landscaping and such so you can tell how far out you are or if you can slide a job in between. It is well worth the money invested.

8. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

Lawn Monkey software now has PDA capabilities. Sounds like exactly what you're looking for. You can download a demo by clicking on the LM banner at the top of the page.

9. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I also use the Palm V. Its one of the best investments I have ever made. It keeps me organized and cuts down on the possible mess of papers. I recommend it to anyone!!

10. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

LEGAL PAD!