palm piolet an lawncare software

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by richard coffman, Jan 19, 2002.

1. richard coffman

richard coffman LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in the process of getting a lawncare program for billing and other methods, but, I'm wanting to get a bit more high tech and use my palm piolet to log information down from my customer accounts and to do billing all out in the field without having to deal with the old standby of writting down on paper and losing info, can anyone help.

thanks
    Richard Coffman/owner
    Special Needs Lawn Services:rolleyes:

2. richard coffman

richard coffman LawnSite Senior Member

I'm just wanting to know i'f anyonw would know where and I'f i can get a lawncare program that can use a palm piolet as well as a home computer to keep track of records and notes per customer.:p

3. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Lawn monkey or QExpress

4. GreenStar

GreenStar Banned

these palm pilots man i can not figure it out. why are people so impressed by them. if you look at the price on them there not much less than a laptop. laptops in my imho are the best possible solution to field mapping and billing. any small computer shop can build a unit specific to what you need. sure the gizmos are fun (my phone has so much crap that it's hard to just place a call) but in some industries there is just no room for them. what do you guy's who have them for your operation think, could a laptop be tool thats a little more useful?

5. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

You can find palms for under $100, and high end ones for $400. No laptops for that $$$!

6. GreenStar

GreenStar Banned

i would have to disagree with that. a palm that runs a $100 or so would not have the capability to run such software. i've looked at these. i have an $8 casio that performes all the same functions as a hundred dollar palm. believe it or not you can find laptops cheaper for what one might think. now if you go to say bestbuy and get one your paying $1200 but you have allot of gear you don't need in a business tool. small shops build from scratch or you can buy used equipment ( returned or refurbished) for next to nothing. keep in mind that computers are easy and cheap to upgrade. all the media players and mgi photo suites are useless in such a situtation. i bought a really good one for my fiance and she complained that it didn't have a dvd player, (oh i flipped out )and now she's pretty happy even without the dvd player.

7. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I run my excel spread sheets from my $99 palm. I had quicken on it but decided to go with a different set up. I just got tired of the scraps of paper and figured this would be a good cheap experiment. I imagine I will get a more powerful one if this continues to work .

8. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

The program that was mentioned can be run on a $100 palm pilot.
    Te more expensive a palm is the more software and memory you get (just like a laptop). Some palms are upgradable too.

It is also hard to hold a laptop in your palm while on the filed talking with customers. A palm can also run less than $500 than any laptop.

9. GreenStar

GreenStar Banned

well i guess i've over looked them. i just doen't look that powerful. i looked up laptops in the local trade paper i have, there is a company in pontiac, mi. that has a computer it say toshiba, 750mhz pentium 3 and windows me for $535. do you guy's have shops like that around your area. what kind of software comes with a palm that you can customize? do you have to jump right to an upgraded software program?

10. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I got mine for christmas. Thankfully I've got an awesome technically talented bro in law that got me set up. We went to palm.com and then to the software section. It did cosat me 29.00 for the spreadsheet and word processor (quick office).
    If I was buying one for myself I would have bought a Handspring Visor ($199.00 to $249.00). It is much more expandable and has more memory. As it is I am thankful for the gift (palm m100) and I figure I can start with the little stuff and upgrade if needed next year...

Check out the palm site they have TONS of different programs. Some are free some cost but it sure is great to take care of some of the paperwork throughout the day instead of letting it pile up at night.