Palm thorn Synovitis

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by South Florida Lawns, Nov 14, 2010.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Caused by Date Palm thorns. This is some real stuff to be aware of, my friend has it and is in terrible pain but got his from a Sago.

I'm always getting stabbed through leather gloves and the pain is so intense at times depending on the palm.

Gotta love Florida eh

2. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

I stopped trimming them by hand because of the pain I would receive trimming them from the multiple pricks I would suffer. I also had several instances where people had let them go for so long that the leaves and thorns were so sick, I was worried about them poking other parts of my body.
    I noticed that my hands would sometimes swell slightly and hurt like hell the next day. I eventually just went to using my hedge trimmer to take off the branches, then using two rakes to remove them. Might not be the best cultural practice - but not having swollen hands is the best cultural practice for me!

3. Mike-big loppers and gloves. If your doing canary island/medjool/Sylvester/ remove the thorns with felcos to get to the seeds.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

That is what I was using diamond - thorns still poked through the gloves and got me consistently.

5. Posted via Mobile DeviceDang.....I hate pygmys for that reason. They just aren't worth it.