1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Palm Tree Seeds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by T Edwards, Oct 14, 2004.

1. T Edwards

T Edwards LawnSite Member

OK, my Florida friends, today I picked up a few seeds (they look like a small orange fruit) from under a palm. These mature trees are only about 15 feet tall and the fronds spread out about 15 feet in diameter. What type of palm is this and what is the best way to germinate these seeds?

Thanks in advance

2. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

[​IMG]

If it looks like this .... It's a Queen Palm

Here's good link on what to do
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/BODY_EP238

Your gonna need a green one thou ... the orange ones are "ripe"

3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Canary Island Date palm from sound of it. Had 2 in my yard growing up. Dates(seeds) are not edible. These are sort of squat palms grow to about 25-30 feet or so with fronds that extend out a goodways and have 6-8 inch very sharp spikes close to the trunk. If this is the type of palm then do yourself a favor and throw the dates away, Vey dangerous to trim. The inedible date clumps can weigh in around 75 pounds and I've seen guys knocked uncounsoius litterally from those.

4. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

I would think that it is a queen palm. As for germinating them, I would just stick several in a pot and see what they do. When I trim them, I sometimes throw the seeds in the back corner of my property and see what comes up. I haven't checked them in some time but I do have about three that germinated near my brush pile. This winter I plan on potting them up.

5. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

He's in South Carolina, I don't think Queen's can survive that far north. Maybe it's a Pindo. If the frond has barbs along the stem then it probably is a Pindo Palm. They're cold tolerant to about 20 degrees for short periods.

If it is a Pindo, you can germanate the seeds in water. When the seed has sprouted a root, plant it in sand and use a generic palm fertilizer sparingly.