Palm Tree Trunks

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Gorhad, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Gorhad

Gorhad LawnSite Member

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the best way to scrape the old dead debris from my palm tree trunks please:)

2. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

It depends on the type of palm.

If its a Washingtonia that has never been done before, starting at the bottom you should be able to pull off quite a bit with your hands. When it gets to hard to pull, you can use a machete and chop them where they are still attached. If you have an extendable pole saw you can put the blade between the tree and the palm boot and cut downward. I have even heard of guys using a razor knife to slice them off. You won't be able to get all of the boots off. Just keep going up till it is evident they are not ready to come off. This also works for Sabal palms.

If its a pygmy date, you can clean most it with your hands by peeling it off. When you get within a foot or less from the fronds, a lot of this won't come off, but you can clean it up with a chainsaw. Put the blade just slightly into the mess at the bottom and cut upwards. This should remove a lot of the tips of the fronds that are left after pruning.

These have worked well for me, but I would be interested in hearing any one elses methods.