Palmer Amaranth Infestation

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by agrostis, Oct 26, 2013.

1. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I get to deal with RoundUp tolerant weeds all the time. The latest chess moves are to make cotton and soybeans bromoxynil and phenoxy herbicide tolerant. It is not hard for a weed to either be inherently glyphosate tolerant or develop that trait. All it takes is a difference in its amino acid synthesis pathway.

3. Skipster

Skipster LawnSite Bronze Member

This is an interesting topic. The crop world, single-site turf world (golf, sports turf, sod production), and academic world are very concerned about control product resistance. But, it doesn't seem to get very much air time in LCO (I can think of several reasons for this and not all of them are bad).

Are you guys hearing much about product resistance and product rotation in your areas/states?

Are there any LCO-specific organizations that talk about this?

TPI (Turf Producers International -- the sod growers association), GCSAA (golf course superintendents association), and STMA (sports turf managers association) talk about this topic A LOT. But, I haven't heard a word about it from PLANET.

What do you guys think about product resistance and rotation? Is it as important in LCO as it is in golf, sports, and sod?

4. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

This is a little better than that lousy picture in the article.

imagesCAEQB8HS.jpg

images P1.jpg

images.jpg

FIG55 P3.jpg

5. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

It should also be known that even glyphosate susceptible amaranths are harder to kill when they have grown much past knee high. Problem is most people spraying weeds do not realize that glyphosate is not universally effective against all weeds and at all stages of growth. I do not use much glyphosate because most sites and weeds are less than fully susceptible to reasonable rates.