1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by BIGJIMBEEM, Apr 20, 2007.

BIGJIMBEEM LawnSite Member

I am wondering about yellowing of the leaves on a windmill palm, and i also have i believe a sergio palm that the leaves are discolored from yellow to some being white in some spots. was just wondering if there was anything i need to do in order bring them back to there natural coloring/ healthy status. fertilization??? if so what
  2. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

a lot of times it is a manganese deficiency, even if you fertilize the tree it will only help with new growth not the existing yellowing fronds....

BIGJIMBEEM LawnSite Member

so u recommend putting magnesium of them and trimiming some of the older stalks, I thought maybe somefetrilizer high in nitrogen might help to help green them up but maybe That might hurt more then help
  4. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Palms need trace elements like copper and manganese that are not in the soil or fertilizer in our state - all garden centers in Florida sell palm special fertilizer but I haven't seen it in Ga .You can buy - it online and Jobes makes a palm fertilizer stake that you drive into the ground for time release - don't just increase the nitrogen -yellow foliage can also be caused by too much nitrogen . As a short term treatment , you can use epsom salt , should help some. Drill holes around the drip line of the canopy , but I can't recall the amount per inch of trunk - thats why I like the stakes.