Pampas grass clean-up question

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Toxey, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Toxey

Toxey LawnSite Member

guys,

I have a client that would like 28 pampas grass bushes cut and cleaned up. The grass is about 12-15 ft tall (very large). Just checking to see what other people would charge to cut the PITA bushes down. Thanks for the help.

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Labor + Hauling. Probably around + -, 4 hours.

I use my articulating hedge trimmer on the end of my string trimmer and quickly cut them down.

3. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

toxey,
    We take twine and wrap the upper middle girth of these things and pull the string tight. This will cause the plant to squeeze in, and from there we can use the hedge trimmers to cut along the desired height. The twine also keeps the stems from falling all over the place and causing more cleanup. The clumps are then picked up whole and placed on the trailer. We ge anywhere from 10-15 bucks per individual plant and a full load of hauloff for these things. Our haul off is figured in as an hour of labor for our 3 men.
    I wouldn't hesitate to charge 350.00 dollars!! That is over 80.00 per crew hour. and their unload time and drive time.

4. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

Agree with the pros above.

5. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Tie once in the bottom third of the clump, then again in the top third of the clump. It'll hold together much better and, if you connect the two cinches at the time you tie, you'll have a handle to carry the clump away.

6. RandallM

RandallM LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Absolute genius!!!! I wish I would have read this thread a week ago. I had to cut down some pampas grass last week and it was a major PITA. This idea would have made life much better for this job. I luv this forum.

7. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Matches and backhoe. Hate them...The harbor snakes and roaches.

8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I've used duck tape wrapped around them to hold them together, as welll as those 6' motorcycle pull straps (don't throw them away obviously). After years of doing properties with pampas grass, and I had one that had 28 as well! I've found it's just easier, and a whole lot faster to pick a calm and cool day and cut and drop them. Some of the big ones with the centers missing are impossible to really tie up anyway. If you gather the stuff up and toss it on a tarp you can get several clumps worth in a tarp, folded like a taco. Yep, it's that time of year again... I have one with bamboo as well. UGH! that takes a chainsaw and a whole lot of cutting and dragging. such a PITA since it's 15+ feet tall.

9. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

You should up-sell your customers and try to clean the larger ones up by digging them and splitting them.

The ones with the dead centers you can take a cordless reciprocating saw and cut out the dead root mass in the center and fill back in with soil. After a couple of seasons it will fill back in.

10. gunsnroses

gunsnroses LawnSite Senior Member

Some good advice here....but if possible, set'em on fire...they come back better than ever before. They will burn down to the green and the dead crap in between.