1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pampas grass(transplanting an divideing question)

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by leeslawncare, Feb 22, 2005.

1. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I just dug up 2 huge 3 ft wide plants.I got them up an split them up with a hatchet into small rooted pieces on Saturday.Got 5 5gallon buckets worth.Question is .Has anyone here ever transplanted these?I've got to plant them for a client this coming Saturday.Will they keep in the buckets in a cool dry place till then?
  2. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Think of it as a weed that you can't kill. Heck.... split them up into 100 parts. If you need more I can help out. I jerk tons of the things out of the ground each month. Even have a special home made attachment for the Bobcat just to get them out.

People go out and buy Pampas Grass never realizing how big it will get. I am taking one out tomorrow morning that is at least 8' round and 12' tall.
  3. Mowmoney00

Mowmoney00 LawnSite Member

Really....I'd like to see that home made attachment. Got any pics....sounds pretty cool.
  4. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate that stuff.
    My clients always regret planting that grass.
  5. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i'am planting this in a huge slope at the side of a above ground pool .It took 20 yrds of mulch to cover it an they do'nt want to do it again .good ground cover