1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pampas Grass

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Adam3669, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Adam3669

Adam3669 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer that wants some pampas grass cut down to about 6". Does $25/bush sound like too much?
  2. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

how large of a bush? When you do it, make sure you wear gloves, then hold all the grass up and wrap some tape around it. This was once you cut it theres almost no clean up. I would guess for an average size 25 per bush is fine. Shouldnt take but a few minutes for each one right?
  3. Adam3669

Adam3669 LawnSite Senior Member

yeah, shouldn't take long at all. Thanks for the tip on wraping the bush..thats really a great idea. the bush is probobly around 4 feet high. not too bad
  4. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

what do you use to cut them? chain saw?
  5. CutNLawns

CutNLawns LawnSite Member

Wrapping them and clippers take way too long, chainsaws make a mess so this year I used my Redmax hedge trimmer to trim them and didn't wrap them either. Literally only took 5-10 seconds to cut down and it just fell over in a pile. Pick them up with a good bear hug and put them in the truck. I have (4) of them that are 4ft in dia. and I was completly finished in about 5-6min. By the way I charged $20 each for my accounts.
  6. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know how you could charge $25 a peice for those grasses, even the big ones. I can cut down and clean up maybe 6-10 an hour and slack off doing it. People that have those grasses ussualy have around 3-6. I cut them down with the clean-up so it probbly only adds 40-50 to their bill. No way I could give someone a bill for $200 for cutting down that grass.