pampas grass

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by rescuedlawn, Mar 24, 2014.

1. rescuedlawn

rescuedlawn LawnSite Member

Has anyone had to remove pampas grass before? I know they are challenging and many times will require a back hoe. Any suggestions?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

Comes out pretty easily with a sharp shovel. Take a file to the blade and you can cut it into small pieces while removing it. Roots are very shallow.

3. Holland

Holland LawnSite Senior Member

Just dug up a big one today for a customer. Replaced with a nice Japanese Yew. I hate Pampas Grass!
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

I had 2 removed and the guys used shovels. Not a deep hole at all. I don't mind it the summer, but a big brown grassy bush in the winter doesn't look good.

5. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

Use a hedge trimmer .. then a chainsaw on the base...works reasonably well if you clean it out regularly...
    Trim all the loose stuff down to the base of the plant then the chsinsaw does quickwork of it...also a pick or sharpshooter at the base will dislodge it pretty qhickly...
    We used to bundle them with twine and haul off...
    Unless you got many, I wouldn't use a backhoe, unless you have one...
    ...and wear longsleeves or your arms will get cut up!

6. rescuedlawn

rescuedlawn LawnSite Member

Thanks. A client had 8 of them. 1 was 6 ft in diameter. the others were about 2 feet or so. Clients are elderly and on a fixed income and i gave them a price of $160 for them all. In my opinion its low but they, of course, thought it was high. we shall see.