pampas grass

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by rescuedlawn, Mar 24, 2014.

1. rescuedlawn

rescuedlawn LawnSite Member

Has anyone had to remove pampas grass before? I know they are challenging and many times will require a back hoe. Any suggestions?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

Comes out pretty easily with a sharp shovel. Take a file to the blade and you can cut it into small pieces while removing it. Roots are very shallow.
  3. Holland

Holland LawnSite Senior Member

Just dug up a big one today for a customer. Replaced with a nice Japanese Yew. I hate Pampas Grass!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

I had 2 removed and the guys used shovels. Not a deep hole at all. I don't mind it the summer, but a big brown grassy bush in the winter doesn't look good.
  5. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

Use a hedge trimmer .. then a chainsaw on the reasonably well if you clean it out regularly...
    Trim all the loose stuff down to the base of the plant then the chsinsaw does quickwork of it...also a pick or sharpshooter at the base will dislodge it pretty qhickly...
    We used to bundle them with twine and haul off...
    Unless you got many, I wouldn't use a backhoe, unless you have one...
    ...and wear longsleeves or your arms will get cut up!
  6. rescuedlawn

rescuedlawn LawnSite Member

Thanks. A client had 8 of them. 1 was 6 ft in diameter. the others were about 2 feet or so. Clients are elderly and on a fixed income and i gave them a price of $160 for them all. In my opinion its low but they, of course, thought it was high. we shall see.