Pan Gasket on horizontal Tecumsehs

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Turfdude, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wanted to see if anyone else had problems w/ bad gaskets on these engines. I purchased 3 of these last year 5-5.5 HP for thatcher, PECO catcher vac motor, and edger respectively. First 2 from my dealer - he installed, latter from Mower parts place I installed. All 3 leaked bad. All 3 re-done under warranty. Non of these machines got a lot of use. Thatcher obviously seasonal, edger 20 days tops as it is a spare, and vac motor the most, but only for heavy growth in spring and clean-ups in fall.

Bob

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

does that engine have a crankcase cover on the side or does it have a base on the bottom?

3. My thought was torque sequence and lbs incorrect, but 3 times?
    I have 2 older 3.5's that get minimal use, never any oil leaks.

4. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Crankcase cover is on side. BTW, the engine on the PECO vsc, blew the one filler plug totally out. This plug is toward the blower haousing and is unservicable and unnoticeable when on rider. We never touched this plug. Fortunately, we shut down macine before the engine blew.

Bob

5. PartsGuy

PartsGuy LawnSite Member

I know this may be oversimplifying things, but check your oil level. Sounds to me you are building up crankcase pressure and blowing the gaskets.

Just my thoughts

Parts Guy
    :sleeping:

6. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

you threw me when you said "pan gasket" I thought it might be a real old engine. Since it's the crankcase cover then what I do is use coppercoat gasket sealer. Put a nice coat on the block and cover and let it get tacky (ussually 2 minutes) then install the gasket and cover and torque. This will glue it in place.

After reading you last post it sounds like you crankcase breather is plugged up. Clean it out real good or replace it.