pansies ( flowers ) only in cool season?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by northernsvc's, May 20, 2006.

1. northernsvc's

northernsvc's LawnSite Member

i had a lady at a nursery tell me i was crazy for puttting pansys down now, she says the won't do well, they are only for cool climates? i have never dealt with these annuals before anyone know? i am in zone 5, a couple of my customers plant there own and they do fine, is she correct? or on crack?
  2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Im no expert, They dont like hot weather but I have planted them in a shaded area and kept them through the summer months, or had them in a big planter and moved the planter under a tree.

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

She was VERY Correct too. Pansies are a Cool/Cold weather Annual flower. For his time of year and the summer you should have used marigolds and others.
  4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Here we use them as a winter annual but they still last until late April early May which translates to 90-95 anyway, if they get some afternoon shade I think you will be fine. May not have been your best choice but I wouldn't sweat it.

MM he is in IL. your in NC, different climates. His night time temps should help him out quite a bit with the pansies. If he is in northern IL it gets much cooler at night than you do. If he is in southern IL it still gets a little cooler at night.
  5. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Your pansies will last till the heat and humidity of summer render them ugly. At that point or before, you can plant petunias, in sun, or impatiens, for shade or any other sun or shade tolerant annuals. If you are lucky, when the temperatures start to drop again in the fall, the pansies may make a comeback.

6. MMLawn

I can't believe you guys that are professionals are giving him this advice. Esp, after his own LOCAL nursery even told him not to plant them.

From the Missouri Dept of Ag.

Now is the time that all gardeners are looking toward putting their gardens to bed for the winter and not thinking about planting flowers. However, fall is an ideal time to plant pansies for glorious late fall and early spring flowers.

Pansies are cool weather plants and prefer nighttime temperatures of 50 degrees and daytime temperatures around 60 degrees; thus, they are ideal for fall color and provide a terrific complement to bulbs in the springtime before perennials start blooming. Getting pansies started in the summer is difficult since they have this tendency to prefer cooler weather, so fall and early spring are ideal times to plant pansies. Many times, pansies seeded in the fall will even bloom all winter long. Last year I planted my pots with pansies in October, and they bloomed wonderfully throughout the winter. But, once daytime temperatures start hovering over 75 degrees, pansies begin to die out, and it is time to remove them and to plant summer material.
  7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Our nightime lows in Northern Illinois are still in the 40's , the other night we hit upper 30's. I don't know anybody that plants pansies in the fall here, just don't see it. Missouri climate is quite different than the Northern half of Illinois. I'm sure their nightime lows are in the upper 60's by now.
  8. MMLawn

I realize that and agree, but the nighttime temps are not what he needs to be concerned with right now. It is the daytime temps as they continue to rise.....even in North Ill, and I strongly suspect that is why his nursery which is also there where he is in Norhern IL is why they strongly recommended against them.

As to Missouri, I just posted that one because that was the easist one for me. I can pull many other states that will say the same. The specs for successful pansies are the same temps no matter where you are located. I also suspect Missouri, just like Ill and just like here in NC is still seeing nighttime lows in the 40's and 50's. We haven't even reached constant 60's yet here.
  9. MMLawn

Oh....and BTW, I'm not really arguing wih you guys. I just think (no, I know :laugh: ) there are much better annuals to use this time of year than pansies and I think that is what the nursery was saying too.
  10. northernsvc's

northernsvc's LawnSite Member

i have never worked with pansies before, my customer wanted them, i usually stick with impatiens and petunias. thank you for your input so far