pansies

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by fordnut, Dec 30, 2007.

1. fordnut

fordnut LawnSite Member

I need some advice on pansies.What do ya'll use to feed pansies. The ones I have planted look OK, but it don't seem like they are growing to well.They have been in the ground for about a month. I'am licensed in NC.....thanks

2. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

It may be different in the south. But we use either 20-20-20 water soluble at planting and about two weeks later. Or 14-14-14 granular at time of planting

3. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

My pansies have not grown much this year either, and I don't know why. I'm not yet licensed, (should be by March) but did use some 15-30-15 on mine every two weeks. They look great, but small. I've been deadheading mine, and after having encouraged my customers to use at least some Miracle Grow Gen. Purpose on them, even stopped by to deadhead their flowers too (a little PR), same thing. Nice and green vegitation, looks very healthy, but slow growth and somewhat disappointing flower production. pH is 6.7... don't know what the problem is, but will talk to my grower about it.

4. Whitey4

fordnut, thanks for the PM. I had my pH requirements for pansies all wrong. I'll put down some iron sulfate and see if that helps.

5. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Come on don't keep it a secret, let us know what the fix is
    PLEASE

6. fordnut

fordnut LawnSite Member

I was telling Whitey4 that I read that pansies need a PH of 5.5 to 5.8.

7. Whitey4

I referred to a pH requirements list I had, and it said 5.5 to 7.0. That reference list has now found a new home in the round file.

8. Slyder777

Slyder777 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

We usually apply blood meal to pansies down here. I am not much on organics, but the pansies really seem to like it. Bone meal is another one that we sometimes use.

Shawn

9. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

We grow pansies her at Ph in the mid 7 at best so while not ideal I don't think PH is your problem. I would bet your problem is that your grower applied a PGR to keep them from getting leggy and falling over and that is what is causing your lack of growth. Nothing you can do but wait.

10. Whitey4

OK.... I have a question, which should not surprise anyone here! The library at the arboretum I do work at is closed. I referred to a pH reference list from Rapid Test, a manufacturer of cheap pH meters. Then on line, I foung a plant pH reference list form Vigaro, that Home Despot supplier. The have an identical list. Both say the pH for pansies is 5.5 to 7.0. But find a site that specializes in the pansy, like this one...

http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/horticulture/pansies.html

from the U of Georgia, and it clearly states that a pH above 5.8 WILL inhibit iron uptake.

Next, take a soil sample for pH and nutrient testing. Soil testing is available through your local county Extension office for a nominal fee. Pansies prefer a pH in the range of 5.4 to 5.8. A soil pH above 5.8 can result in boron and iron deficiencies. Therefore, avoid liming pansy beds out of habit, unless the soil test indicates a need for lime.

So, it appears that I have (and so does Rapid Test and Vigoro) gotten my hands on some generically generated pH reference lists that are wrong. I found other discrepencies as well. Anyone know of a preferably University based ref list for plant pH? My arboretum library won't reopen for a month. I got a partial list form NC State, but it doesn't list a whole lot of plants.

I will still check with my grower, as this is the same pH I had last year, and the plants had better growth and more abundant flowers. To annoy me further, I drove around looking for some iron or aluminum sulfate without any luck.