Pansy Planting Problems.....

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by tjsquickcuts, Jan 12, 2007.

1. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Just curious if anyone else is having the same dilemma I am having?.....I have noticed that for some reason, this week some of my homes that I planted pansy for during Late Sept are starting to look stressed.....I decided to ride around and take a look at some other LCO planting, and it seems they are having the same problem.....I know the weather has been crazy and very warm, but I am just stumped on whats going on.....anybody have any answers because I need to figure out whats going on before my phone starts ring....lol....

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We plant a lot of winter flowers and if you never had any troubles before this year you are good or lucky. We stopped using pancies and switched to other things because of problems. I think the main cause of problems are too much water and then they get fungus, but since it has also been warm you might look for bugs. We did a few plots of Gumbo pancies this year and we started with all new soil mix from an organice shop. And we waited very late to put the flowers in becasue it was simply too warm in November. So far this group is doing great. We are also convinced to use Viola all around next year becasue they have more blooms and they will restart faster after a freeze. If a pancy get disease it will take forever to get it back blooming ever after putting funcacide on them. We only plant flowers at locations were we mow each week so we watch them constantly and still have failures.

3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Pansies and Violas are the same plant just a different cultivar so anything that attacks a Pansy will also get a Viola.

All flowers need lots of nutrients and if planted in the same bed year after year will begin to look tired. I remove the top 4-6 inches of soil every other year and bring in some peat and compost and then turn the bed to 8" mixing with the native soil. You can also mix in alfalfa pellets to get some enzyme activity. I also use a slow release Osmicote vegetable fertilizer sold at the box stores throughout the bed at the time of planting. Then stay consistent on the high phos fertilizer at least every 3-4 weeks.

If you want to treat the bed for fungus use Subdue systemic granular and Banrot watersoluable soil drench. That will cover most any fungus you will get. Chances are if you have a fungus it came from the nursery with it. A simple way to check for fungus is pull up a sickly plant and pull on a root. If the outside slides off like a shirtsleeve off your arm then you have fungus. If it just breaks probably don't have a fungus. The subdue systemic is a good product to use all the time as it will not effect much else. I would only use the Banrot if the crop is failing, it kills everything it touches good or bad.

There is always fungus in the soil and on your plants it only becomes an issue when the populations get out of hand. I'm sure they play a vital role in the balance of the ecosystem. Since nature works pretty well on its own I would avoid any fungicides unless it is absolutely necessary. I consider flowerbeds to be an artificial creation and temporary at that. This is why I have little qualms about using fungicides in flower beds. Of course a mammoth tree that is 50 yards away may have roots in your flowerbed so you can't be too careful.

4. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

Yes ! My pansies are looking bad as well. They were planted around Sept to Oct. I found aphids at one site. All of the light blue/purple are basically dying/dead and will need to be replaced. I don't warranty my bedding plants for aphids,etc.... unless they pay extra. I will replace a few plants but not the whole group(s). I'm gonna give them another 2 weeks to perk up and replace if they don't get better looking.

5. tjsquickcuts

from Atlanta

Well I warranty all my seasonal color for 90 days.....but most are past their warranty date....but I have had a little success with bringing most of them back.....Used some liquid fert twice last week, and once this week and have gotten some to perk back up......But yeah we are having the same issue.....I also pruned all my heads. I just hope with the weather finally getting cooler and consistent, we will have better results. I think with the temps being so inconsistent, it has affected the growth.....But good luck, keep me posted.....

6. AUHort1990

AUHort1990 LawnSite Member

What do they look like? Is it just the flowers or the entire plant. With warmer weather you really have to look out for aphids. They will really make a mess of pansies in a very short time. Our flower heads started looking bad in the last week or two. It helps to deadhead pansies so they can spend more energy on flowering rather than seed production. They also are heavy feeders. We apply a liquid fert. of Peters 15-0-15 Dark Weather Special every 2 weeks and it really helps.

7. Eakern & Dog

Well, one area was definately hit by aphids, but theplants themslves appeared stressed ( yellowing of leaves )with a general "leggy" appearance even though it appeared that they were dead headed. This was a new account, where I know nothing of the original planting, so I'm unsure if they were already stressed adn then the aphids became oppourtunistic or they the aphids caused all of the damage. One other area has plants that are yellow with fungus looking brown spots on some leafs.However, it is only the light blue/purple ones in this plot that look this way.

8. AUHort1990

AUHort1990 LawnSite Member

These plants could have been leggy when they were installed. I have received plants like this from some growers. The yellowing could be caused by the aphids or just lack of fert. I would treat for aphids and fertilize. I found this on the leaf spot. Might be your problem.

http://plant-disease.ippc.orst.edu/disease.cfm?RecordID=772

9. tjsquickcuts

from Atlanta

Dead heads or dying heads were my biggest problem.....I Pruned all my heads last week, and have already started to get new growth as of Saturday.....I am just going to assume that it was all because of the warm weather, because now that we have hit or averages, they all are starting to come back.....I didnt have this problem at all the last two years, so it kinda caught me off guard, and had me nervous.....It was amazing how quickly they went down hill though, almost over night....but hopefully I have fixed the problem....Good luck to the rest of you guys.....

10. Eakern & Dog

Thanks for the info Roger