1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pants or Shorts?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Sep 17, 2009.

1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I noticed a UPS driver was wearing shorts the other day.

Many contractors have a cow if their guys ever dream of wearing shorts to work!

UPS is all about production and speed. And UPS is also all about professionalism. So am I. A comfortable employee is a productive employee. Many contractors use safety as an excuse for not allowing shorts. My favorite is the 1950's conservative mindset when others equate wearing shorts to going to "the beach"! One can be comfortable only at a beach???

In the 13.5 years I've been a super duper, world renowned, hardscape contractor - we never had anything happen where pants or shorts would have impacted anyone's safety.

What are your requirements and why?

In a few weeks I'll do my monthly check in at the "premier site" and someone will have copied this topic!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  2. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

I think one of the main reasons why you see a lot of hardscapers wear pants is because they consider hardscapes to be construction. You go to any commercial construction site, you are required to wear pants. I know most construction sites will have their own regulations and they will usually include that the stricter of the two regulations, their own and OSHA's are to be followed at all times. I've read through the OSHA regulations and they only say PPE is required if there is any possibility of injury. Now granted, I can trip and fall on my way to the truck and scratch my knees. Does that mean I should wear pants when I walk to the truck from now on because of the possibility of injury? I don't think so.

That said, our own company requirements say to wear proper clothing according to where you will be working. Most of our guys wear pants, and from what I gather, it's usually out of habit. Me, I wear shorts whenever possible as they give me a lot more room such as when I'm kneeling down to do sprinkler or brick work. I, too haven't heard of any such injury come through where pants or shorts come in to play regarding the injury type.
  3. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

my guys and myself wear speedos! Very comfortable.

we wear shorts, cause your right a happy employee is a working employee. I also get them cutoff work shirts.
  4. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

shorts 100% of the time.....I don't care how cold it is and sometimes shorts and sandals.
  5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

bright yellow bannana hammocks for us...
  6. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I wouldn't go as far as sandals but yes, shorts. I prefer hiking shoes, shorts and a t-shirt. When its cooler we're still in shorts but long sleeves and when its cold........well, we do what we can to keep warm.

Maybe I should get company shorts with the logo across the butt....
  7. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

White thongs hear
  8. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

I wear pants but my employees can wear whatever they want. I'd rather wipe grass and debris from pants than my shin.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

If my guys were driving all day, then short it could be. But since there out working with heavy blocks, busting conctrete, and using machinery, pants it will be.

My guys work hard at very steady pace that I am happy with.

Its not worth it to me. In my opinion.
  10. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, "heavy blocks"? Heavy blocks pose a threat to the toes and to the back. You have your guys wearing pants in case they drop a block on their feet, but do they all wear back braces when working with heavy block?

"Busting concrete". I guess if you use a jack hammer pants may be necessary.

I'm curious as to what hardscape machinery there is that would pose a threat to one's legs?