1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pants or shorts?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by springman26, Jul 17, 2003.

1. springman26

springman26 LawnSite Member

Quick one. With the hot weather here now what do you guys go with pants or shorts? I had been using shorts but my legs get all chewed up from the trimmer. Just too hot for pants though. Anybody have any light weight pants?
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Shorts. - Cargo type. Part of uniform. Whenever I trim, I wear chaps. No green, knicked up legs, no grass in boots, no green socks. www.wechapps.com ;)
  3. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

I carry an old pair of bib overalls - shorts while I'm mowing, slip on the bibs to trim take I'm off when I'm done. Have seen guys wearing old catcher shin guards also.
  4. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly what I do, shorts and w/ chaps for trimming. I have a used uniform place in my area that I can pick up used ----ies,etc for next to nothing but I prefer cotton; I got a buddy that's an E8 at Ft.Campbell Ky that gives me his old BDU's that I cut off or have sewn into shorts.
  5. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The trimming doesn't bother me with shorts unless it is real heavy trimming... I wore shorts twice this year while mowing and got stung by bees both times. 4 stings all together. I won't be wearing shorts anymore while working. I'm gonna look for some light weight, light colored pants, maybe painter's pants if they come in a light tan color or light gray.

Chaps look too stupid to make it a viable solution to enable wearing shorts.
  6. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

Shorts, no chaps, the wife washes the green socks and fixes my boo-boos. Come on guys , butch up!
  7. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I try to wear pants as much as I can get away with. I hate that green stringy grass hanging from my hairy legs. :( If they have a pant that is doorable and the wind would flow thru, then I am a buyer.
  8. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I don't think I can go out in public looking like this.....

9. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Pants?? NO chance! Not in Louisiana, not me. Shorts, all the time. Blood, all the time....but I'm used to it, I only feel the wounds when I shower. Now, winter is a different story....
  10. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I wear shorts and a Chapron from Stihl. It looks fine and is great along roadsides since people can see the bright orange. The Chapron is very quick to put on and take off, and my legs stay nice and clean.