Pants/shoes advice for ya.....to beat the heat

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

For those of you who wear pant or blue jeans....I would HIGHLY reccomend Purchasing some pants that are 70% cotton/30% Nylon......I have been wearing these types of pants for years and especially while working......They are much cooler feeling and when you start sweating they do not feel nearly as bad.....not to mention try to get some w/ some sort of zipper pockets, so that way you can put your wallet and cell phone in it and never ever have to worry about losing them (or dropping as I have read that many of you do).

I also have some good shoes reccomendations for you. Now they may not look like they would make good work shoes, but they actually hold up pretty well and are extremely comfortable. The brand name is Merrell. They have some shoes (the ones I am referring to) that have no laces. They are not hi-tops, they go up to just under the ankle. They just slip on and off (just get the right size). Which is really really convenient. They have a few different styles of these. I have never had any problems with them slipping off and the leather holds up nicely and they are as I said extremely comfortable. The ONLY problem with them is that it seems as if the sole tread wears quickly. And best of all, they look nice enough to be going out shoes.

Heck you know what? I'm just gonna post a pic! I bought these a few months back for about $60 (keep in mind they have been through a few months of tough work!), but then I later I found out that Dillards had some on sale for $20. I would've bought as many pairs as they had, but unfortunately I only found one pair in my size (slightly different style, but still nice)....sorry for babbling on lemme try to post a pic of the shoes:

2. Vibe Ray

Her ya go!

dsc01105 (small).jpg

3. Vibe Ray

Anybody use these already or have any othe advice or comments?

4. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

You're joking about the shoes, I hope.

5. MLI

MLI LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

n/m

6. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Do they have steel toes in them. If not, your risking your toes around mowers or dropping landscape timbers,etc on your toes.

7. wattsup

wattsup LawnSite Member

OSHA? I wear these shoes. The only OSHA I am worried about is ME. They are not safety shoes, but they are comfortable. Is OSHA going to come and inspect your shoes? Not a chance! Do not do anything stupid and you have no worries. If you have steel toed shoes they will still crush your toes if you screw up bad enough. Go for comfort, stay smart, and you are good.

8. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

So you never heard of accidents like your feet slipping under a mower. I have heard of one guy on this site saving his toes from steel tipped shoes when his feet ACCIDENTLY slipped under the mower.

So do you wear ear and eye protectors?

9. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Its kind of scary. I brought this point up in a discussion on another forum and I kind of got shooo'd there just like you are here.

I've seen some nasty accidents, and I do all that I can to keep myself from making mistakes, BUT...we are all human, and every now and then, accidents do happen.

I think steel toes are a pretty important thing. Like was said to me before, YES, there are great safety features on todays mowers, but still, the chance is there for a dangerous situation.

You don't have to be doing something stupid for an accident to happen.

I wear steel toe boots 12-16 hours a day, I don't find them uncomfortable??

I also asked the question there, does anyone actually govern the safety procedures used in a Small Business? I know OSHA is out there, but I thought your business has to be a certain size before they are allowed to mess with you because of the amount of money involved to adhere and follow a lot of their guidelines.

I don't know about you, but I rather be safe then sorry!

10. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Thanks, but I prefer steel toe work boots. The ones I wear are waterproof and have wicking to keep my feet dry. I'm never comfortable around mowers and such without steel toes. I guess if you are, then good luck.