Paper bags for leaves and such...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jmq, Oct 31, 2006.

1. jmq

jmq LawnSite Member

How much are you guys and gals paying for paper bags....Here I find them for $2 for 5 bags.....

2. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Not me. I just fill up my green barrels and dump them in the town dump.

3. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

seems like this belongs in the homeowners section...

4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Sodking, in some areas that's the only way the city will pickup yard waste. I just dump mine in my back pasture field and it ends up as a motorcycle jump.

5. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

The town isn't suppose to take waste generated by a contractor. At least in my town they don't.

6. rockandroller

rockandroller LawnSite Member

Learned my lesson. No more paper bags for me. You would have to pay me double time to get me to work with them again!

7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I would need about 500 paper bags to do one yard. Never heard of it and never would use them.

8. mikes landscaping

mikes landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from kansas

well scince we dont have a truck we use them too. we pay something like $7.50 for 25 bags. thats the only way to do it around here. if you haul to the dump the charge you by the weight.

9. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats what I am saying, its boy next door stuff. Not the way a professional landscape company would do things...

10. jmq

jmq LawnSite Member

In this area, you can not dump the leaves unless you pay. We charge the clients for the bags and the labor. Unfortunately, we do not have farms, fields or woods in the immediate area for disposal!

The city picks up the bags with the weekly trash collection, whether they are from a contractor or not!

We only use tarps at our commercial accounts and they all have dumpsters that we use to dispose the leaves.....

Otherwise I would have to charge EVERYONE for a debris removal. With time being money, I do not want to haul all the leaves, pay to dispose and spend the time to unload the truck.

I have accounts that I have used more than 100 bags, the only thing is that since the leaves have been falling, I have increased my visits to these customers and they are charged for every visit. It cost less to bag 20 bags than is does to bag 100.