Paperboxes legal?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Sup3rman, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Sup3rman

Sup3rman LawnSite Member

I know that mailboxes are illegal to touch and put flyers into. however, I have read here that paper boxes are ok. It is not illegal to put flyers in a paper box? Can the paper company actually do something about this or no?

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

HeII no the paper company can't do anything. They are actually doing the same thing you would be doing...putting something of their's into someone's hole.......ooohhh, that doesn't sound right!

3. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

well around here the paper boxes are theres and they could push it if they wanted to. but i don't think they would

but then agian you are using there stuff to advertize when you could be paying them to do it

4. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

:p Most The Of The Paper Delieveries Around Here Pull It Out Of The Box And Throw It On The Ground. Now You Look Like You're An Ass Because Your Flyers Are Blowing All Around Town. If They Don't Pick Up The Phonebook To Call You They Sure In The Hell Aren't G0ing To Pick Up The Paper Off The Ground.

5. Sup3rman

Sup3rman LawnSite Member

So then how do you guys go about passing them out then? I need to do this efficiently for lack of time in my schedule.....

6. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Use doorhangers, or you can place flyers into a newspaper slot of a mailbox. What I'm talking about are the mailboxes with a built in newspaper receptacle.

7. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

One method I once tried was a flyer and a magnetic business card in a zip lock with a handful of peppermint candy inside. I just drove through the neighborhood and dropped them at the mailboxes. Idrove back through a few weeks later and many of them were still on the ground! Maybe the neighborhood wasn't as nice as I thought it was!

8. Raz

Raz LawnSite Member

Superman,

I've heard here in colorado that its not illegal... Anyways I did this a couple weeks ago and got 2 responses. It took me about an hour and I left really, really early on sunday morning, cause I figure more people get the sunday paper than any other day of the week. So I left about 4:30 so I could deliver the fliers just after the morning paper was delivered, delivered about 50 fliers around my general area and got 2 responses within the next couple days. A couple things to keep in mind though is that the sunday paper is usually wrapped in plastic and because so many people get the paper this day the paper guy is busy so rather than putting it in the box he'll usually throw it in the driveway. Another thing to keep in mind is that early in the morning theres usually a lot of moisture in the air so if your using regular ink to print your fliers the ink may smear when its wet and your potential customers might not be able to read anything that you printed. so to get around this I just folded all mine in half to give them a little more protection. I'll probably do this again but pick a day that more papers go into the paper box rather than the driveway (weekday?). Another way I thought is to find a paper box that people get the paper from, in a busy location, just after its been filled, and you can pay a quarter to slip your ad into each of the papers in the box...

9. Sup3rman

Sup3rman LawnSite Member

That is exactly what I was thinking of doing. I figured the best time would be to go early morning before everybody picks up their papers. It has to provide one of the best ways to make sure people get your fliers. Thanks for the advice.

10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i pay to have the flyers inserted into a local paper, and can control the areas they are delivered that way, and its worth the cost rather then spending days handing out flyers....