PAR 36 20 watt halogen

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by pete scalia, Oct 10, 2007.

1. pete scalia

pete scalia LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone using this lamp? Are the metrics good? how long does it last? Is it in line with the 36 watt halogen flood in terms of quality output and reliability? Thank you.

2. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

Many people had short life prob's with them, I was told by FOLD to stay away, plus some here will tell you about the problems, too. Not sure of cause in manufacturing, etc.

Just a heads up.

3. pete scalia

I think you are confusing this 20 watt halogen PAR with the 18 watt 4414 incandescant that comes standard with some fixtures.

4. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

5. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

I tried the 20s and ever since I have sworn off ALL PAR lamps!!

6. Eden Lights

Eden Lights LawnSite Senior Member

The version that Hadco is having produced has by far the best illumination patterns and is the leader also in lamp life. With that being said the answer to your question is no and no and if you ask the major distributors they will confirm the very same findings that we are seeing in the field with our service work. It has been so bad for us we are recommending MR replacement fixtures or staying with the GEPAR36 35WFL only.

7. pete scalia

so you are saying the 20 watter has turned out to be a flop ? Thanks for the info.

8. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Crazy, I have not heard anything negative regarding the 20w GE Par36. I know plenty of people who have switched to these lamps but have never heard of them burning out prematurely. Now what I have heard that is negative was in regards to the 25w Par36. GE had a problem with those lamps years ago and it appears they may have the same problem again. A good ammount of contractors have contacted us regarding that lamp burning out and giving them trouble but I have heard nothing reagrding the Halogen 20w.

9. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Joey, you sell a lot of PAR well lights and your opinion might be a little eskew (nothing personal). I have had those pieces of @#$% burn out in my hand while hooking them up, and I don't mean only once!! Those PAR lamps have cost me a pile of money and I am doing the same as Eddie and replacing all PARs with MR fixtures.

10. pete scalia

Again I think the 4414 incandescent which has had a long history and reputation for premature burnout is being confused with the 20 watt GE halogen. They have only been on the market for a few yrs and i'd like to use them but I'm confused after reading the mixed reviews here. Will someone who has used many of them in the field over a period of time chime in and set the record straight.