Par 4 Front Lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by branhamt, Oct 9, 2003.

1. branhamt

branhamt LawnSite Member

Hi, looking for some pro and con on Berm bent grass on a front lawn 50x30 and blvd 50x5. Mr. died last week. Mrs. came to me today (while on job across the street) asking for some help. I commented on how nice ther lawn is etc. VERY NICE, I believe it was cut every other day. Only a REEL mower was used on the front, and I believe reg mower on side and blvd.

So I was asked to use her reel for today. I did, it has a little bagger for it and all. Torge steer while pushing? Anyway the front yard turned out nice, and I used my 21" snapper on the side and blvd.
    The blvd had a small scuff in two small areas (high spots) due to my mower. Other than that I thought the blvd looked as nice as the front.
    I need to maintain this lawn in its current condition at all costs as all the neighbors know I cut on the street and the Mr has passed.
    I will try to post a picture soon.

How do you handle your lawns like this???

Thanks
    Tom

2. Mueller Landscape Inc

Mueller Landscape Inc LawnSite Senior Member

"I believe it was cut every other day."

This is why it looks so nice. You will need to cut this grass every 2-3 days too. Kinda hard to fit into a route! Hope that you will charge enough for the travel time.

3. Meier

Meier LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Yup. The golf course fairways are always green. Even right after they've been mowed.

If you want a Bermuda lawn to look like a fairway, you have to treat it like a fairway. Which means mowing at least 3 times per week.

Bermuda is tough stuff. If you mow it at the same height all year, and are only mowing once a week, it starts looking more grey than green right after you finish mowing. This is because you are cutting stem instead of leaf blade.

Remember, if the bermuda is 2" tall, which is about the highest recommended university cutting height, the stems are about 1-1/2", with leaf blades making up the upper 1/2" of the plant. What that means is that if your going to follow the "never cut more than 1/3 of the leaf blade" rule, you've got to mow again as soon as the grass reaches about 2.16". Basically, that means every other day. The fairways are mowed on M-W-F, but on weekends they're getting so much traffic the growth is slowed because of that. But for a residential lawn, I don't know if waiting from Friday to Monday would be too long when it's really growing. I think it might be too long, but I've never tried to keep a lawn looking like a fairway.

That's what I've figured out about bermuda lawns.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

4. Meier

from DFW

Oh, by the way, I bought a McLain reel mower several years ago for use on my lawn. I thought that would solve the problem of the grass looking grey after it was mowed instead of green....makes no difference. If you cut stem, it's grey.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

5. branhamt

branhamt LawnSite Member

Thanks Meier, that is good to know. i am gonna have to come up with a price for 3 cuttings than.

Do I have to use a reel or is there a benefit to using the reel over a mower or what????? Any other thoughts??

Thanks
    Tom

6. Meier

from DFW

The reel just gives you a much cleaner cut if it's aligned properly, as the reel actually cuts the grass blades like a pair of scissors. The rotary just knocks the grass blades off, kind of like a line trimmer.

After just a little use, the bed knife and blades no longer make good contact and an adjustment is necessary.

Reel mowers are much higher maintenance.

Later,
    DFW Area Landcaper

7. Ideal Lwns & Landscp

Ideal Lwns & Landscp LawnSite Member

A neighbor of one of my customers has the exact same yard..All bermuda grass, with a putting green for one section..I cut his lawn for 2 months of the season..the months of July and October..WHAT a DISASTER....I only have time to cut it once a week, which he says is better than nothing. He cuts it AT LEAST 3 times a week..He uses a 21" push mower and a reel mower.. I use my 52" Great Dane and the reel mower..When he gets back from his vacations it takes him about 3 weeks to get it back to HIS NORMAL YARD.. If you can not cut it more than once a week I would think of skipping this job, it will never look as good..Plus bermuda grass is real hard to cut with high growth..

8. Mueller Landscape Inc

Mueller Landscape Inc LawnSite Senior Member

A reel mower is required for this type of lawn.