1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

PAR36 halogen = #1 lamp for outdoor lighting

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by pete scalia, Sep 30, 2007.

1. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

"Nothing bugs me more than seeing a home lit up with all MR16's...or even all PAR's for that matter. It shows a complete lack in design skills in my opinion, or they just wanted to get the job and get out without spending much thought on it."

I couldnt have agreed more here Dave. The Par has it's place in lighting design weather Eden is willing to admit or not.
    Why hate the only lamp (that I know of) that was designed for landscape lighting. We should embrace it!!

I still respect you Eddie! We shall agree to disagree here!

2. JoeyD

So does the Par 36 Lamp not work well here? Would this look better with MR lamps?

[​IMG]

3. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Joey, Joey, Joey, PAR lights were designed for tractors, not landscape lighting.

4. JoeyD

That may have been true in the past but not the lamps we are using today. They are strictly designed for Landscape Lighting.

I'm gonna sick Nate on all of you.............LOL

5. Eden Lights

Eden Lights LawnSite Senior Member

Joey, that is a outstanding picture. I could not achieve that evenness of luminance nor smoothness ever. If that picture is unedited the designer/installer is outstanding. Edited or not it still is a world class job!

6. JoeyD

Thanks Eddie!! Here is whats crazy. This job was done by Glen Nyhuis, one of our North East sales reps. He did this with a demo kit!! Obviously the contractor he assited installed it but Glen did this design and took this photo the night of the demo. Pretty unbelieveable. This is all Par36 35w WFL's in Unique well lights. Mainly F125 BK fixtures w/ no grates. I am sure they installed Apollo's w/ frosted or clear lenses.

7. JoeyD

8. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

The only bones of contention I read in that post were:

1: Nate says the MR16 was developed for interior track light applications. As far as I am aware, the first and exclusive use of MR16 lamps was with Nightscaping for use in their Landscape Lighting fixtures. Lets not try to re-write history here.

2: Nate thinks that the Ushio MR16 is equivalent and built to the same standard as the GE Constant Colour MR16. I would have to disagree there. I find that the Ushio lamps tend to perform more like an aluminized MR16 rather then a Dichroic MR16. The Ushio mirror surface breaks down with age ( I have one here and the parabolic reflector is completely clear glass, all the reflector has disintegrated) This is not the case with the GE Constant Colour Lamp. The only lamp I have found that comes close to emulating the quality of the GE is the Sylvania Titan series, but they have dropped a large number of the various wattages and beam spreads from their catalog.

Have a great day.

9. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

The MR16 lamp was introduced by General Electric in 1975. It was developed in response to a need for a compact low voltage light source with precise optical control. MR stands for "Mirrored Reflector."

At the time, the intended use was for overhead projectors and microfiche readers. However it was soon adopted for use in a myriad of other applications. This was because of the combination of small size, precisely controlled beam, and quality of light.

I did not find any reference to Nightscaping, although Bill Locklin made use of the bulbs long after their developement.

10. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

I used Nightscaping in 1982 and their primary uplight was the powerlighter which used a LO4414 tractor work light.