Park brake squeaking

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by CNE, Jan 21, 2004.

1. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

First, I love my Exmark 52" 23 Kohler. But, after about only 15 hours of mowing, the right park brake shoe started squeaking really loud. It will bug the crap out of you in a short time. I asked the dealer if there was something I could do instead of returning the mower for repairs. He told me that it probably just needed adjusting and to back off the tension a little. I backed it off a little at a time until it stopped squeaking but then it was too loose to hold the mower on that side and the mower twists on the trailer. I tightened it back up just a hair and now it squeaks again. It's almost like the shoe is not round and it rubs on the hub all the time. Is this a common thing and will they replace it under warranty or will I have to pay for it? It has about 50-60 hours on it now.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

CNE,

We've gotten a few of these comments and have done some testing but don't really have a good answer yet.

Is it warranty? I don't know. We'll probably need to have the dealer take a look at it and see what he finds. If there's something wrong with the band or the hub there's a good chance. If it's got a rock imbedded in the band then it's obviously not.

Thanks

Terry

3. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

I've looked at the band and there is no debris between it and the hub. The left side is visibly more round shaped than the right. It doesn't rub the hub like the other side. that is what is causing the noise, is it rubbing constantly and getting hot. There will actually be brake dust on the outside of the wheel after a few hours of operation. I'll take it back to the dealer, it's due for service again anyway. I just don't think I should have to pay for it to be fixed when it's been doing it since almost new. You can tell by the low hours, it didn't get used much this year.

4. Ryan2

Ryan2 LawnSite Member

This sound crazy, but you need to lubricate it. Spray some pb-blast or wd-40 between the brake and the drum. This will stop the squeak and the brake will still work fine.

5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Ryan,

I probably wouldn't recommend spraying anything on the brake band.

The oil on the brake band could greatly decrease parking brakes ability to hold the mower in place when parked on an incline.

Thanks

Terry

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Its a fairly common situation and I know for certain that eXmark is looking into it. Hopefully a fix will be ready soon.

7. Ryan2

Ryan2 LawnSite Member

Yeah, I know it's not the BEST thing to do, but this is the only way I found to stop the noise. Guess this is for those desperate situations.

8. Mike (MLC)

Mike (MLC) LawnSite Member

Had same problem I took the band off and grease the inside holes of the band put it all back together and no sqeaking.

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Ryan about desperation. It can sometimes get so loud and annoying. Its really bad if people are around staring at you.

I must say, that all winter doing leaves I haven't heard it a single time.

10. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

now that you mention it, the last time i heard it was at the church right before leaf season. cold weather making it contract and clear the hub?