1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Parking a trailer in a 2-car garage

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by slippednfell, Feb 8, 2004.

1. slippednfell

slippednfell LawnSite Member

After I get my equipment, I'm going to need a trailer to haul it around in. I have a 2-car garage (and a city that won't allow trailers to be parked outside in residential areas). I know that I could rent a storage space, but I'd like to park my trailer in my garage each night. Does anyone out there do this, and if so, what size trailers can be reasonably parked in a typical 2-car garage?
  2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I park a 6'x10' in my garage quite a bit. I 6'x12' would also fit. My garage is approx. 24 feet deep...

3. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Grab a Tape Measure and find out how big your garage doors really are. 9 foot wide is bad but if you have 8 footers your be in for some real problems. Say you get a trailer that’s 6 foot wide inside now add on the tires and fenders and frame and that can be 8 feet or a little wider. See where this is going if you had a trailer that was 5-foot interior width you may still be over 7 feet wide and may only have 3-5 inches per side clearance, which isn’t a whole lot. And if you have to do part of your turn while being partly in the garage because the distance is very short that will just get a lot worse.

I’m building a 3 bay garage this spring/ summer were looking at 44x50 we want the doors to be 12 feet wide and 10 feet high I have used 10 foot wide doors before and found with the trucks I use I had less then 2 inches a side clearance on the mirrors. That’s find if you got a nice straight run but if you had to make a correction that was very difficult now add in bad weather like its dark out its raining all your outside mirrors are fogged you cant see out the back and your understand why I’m insisting on over sized doors.
  4. gaulk

gaulk LawnSite Member

I have a town house and i park my 5-10 in there with 2 52inch riders on it (made a little foot and half fold down ext.) plus a bunch of other crap but i make it all fit, if u are going 2 do this get ready 4 the SMELL my wife loves it lol;)
  5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

big tex trailor will build one that fits. Someone put a thread on them with pic about a month ago

6. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

When I had a trailer at home I used to be able to fit a 16x7 foot trailer in my garage with no problem. But, you really do need to measure it becuase all garages are different sizes.
  7. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I can fit my 5 X 10 but it is a little close....fine once you get it in though.
  8. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

my father in law had that problem when looking for a boat he found a boat trailer with a folding toungue gave him about 3 extra feet
  9. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like a nice building your putting up I would really love to have something like that.I have a basic two car attached garage and a 10x10 shed.
  10. pushmower

pushmower LawnSite Member

Does all of that equipment fit on your trailer at once?