parking at cutomer jobs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfguy, Sep 23, 2002.

1. turfguy

turfguy LawnSite Member

The other day I was at a regular customers house and I parked on the side of the street, put out my cones,turned on my strobe and proceeded to do my weekly cut,trim&blow routine. cop comes up and says that a unnamed caller reported my truck blocking the road. I told him that I was only there about an hour and would be on my way shortly. he further told me that if hey caught me here again I would be ticketed. where do most of you guys park in the driveway or on the street. my truck&trailer is so long its a real pain to back out of most driveways. what should I do?

2. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Are there any other customers near by on diff. street? Maybe you could park it on a different street if there is another customer near by but that would probably be a pain in the as* to haul your equipment around.

3. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

How about backing in ? Maybe a visit to the police to find out about parking on the street. If you are on the wrong side turn lites off. Ed

4. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Were you blocking off someones driveway ?? That can be a problem sometimes. I usually try to block only my clients driveway and park in front of my clients house when possible.. If you have to block someone elses drive, just knock on the door , if they are home , ask if you can block their drive for a litle while while you work next door, and if they need to get out to just flag you down and you will move... no biggy.... Never heard of not being allowed to park on a street you are working on ??,, Is it a really narrow street ????

5. turfguy

turfguy LawnSite Member

local police here [Newtown] tell me its at the officers discretion on
    parking complaints. Even with cones and lights I thought I was more of a "service vehicle" than a parking complaint.

6. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto on the backing in. I wouldn't think of backing out. Never heard of anyone being ticketed with cones out. I park on the street 99% of the time. I have one account that is on a narrow beach road and I back into a neighbors driveway (actually a friend of mine).

7. Dan1944

Dan1944 LawnSite Member

Could it be that you were stuck in the middle of a neighbor versus neighbor dispute? One neighbor calls cops, cop gets dispatched and feels he has to put down something on the report.

Just a thought

Dan the lawn care man:confused:

8. Just Turned Pro

Just Turned Pro LawnSite Member

Check with your local ordinances. It could be you were simply in violation of a statute. Up here you have to be XX inches from the curb, with traffic, not within XX feet of a public/ private driveway, intersection, roadside, fire plug, etc. If it is one of these, it could simply be a matter of moving a few feet in one direction or the other.

* Most * police don't pro-actively search for parking complaints in residential neighborhoods. But if someone calls, they will respond. Keep in mind also that whatever busy body that called probably called you in as a traffic hazard which increase the urgency in the call.

It sounds like you took precautions with the safety equipment which is probably why you were not ticketed if you were indeed in violation. If you are legal and safe, don't sweat it. If they call again, the police will recognize that it is simply a whining 911 reliant idiot with too much time on their hands and nothing better to do.

9. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

sorry to hear about that. i've never heard of or had any trouble like that here. the only time i think they would say anything is if you were blocking a driveway, fire hydrant or in a no parking zone. it is still legal to park on a street isn't it?

10. RedOak

RedOak LawnSite Member
    from DFW

Check with your local ordinances. It could be you were simply in violation of a statute. Up here you have to be XX inches from the curb, with traffic, not within XX feet of a public/ private driveway, intersection, roadside, fire plug, etc. If it is one of these, it could simply be a matter of moving a few feet in one direction or the other.

* Most * police don't pro-actively search for parking complaints in residential neighborhoods. But if someone calls, they will respond. Keep in mind also that whatever busy body that called probably called you in as a traffic hazard which increase the urgency in the call.

It sounds like you took precautions with the safety equipment which is probably why you were not ticketed if you were indeed in violation. If you are legal and safe, don't sweat it. If they call again, the police will recognize that it is simply a whining 911 reliant idiot with too much time on their hands and nothing better to do.

Same goes here. As a tax paying citizen you should have rights to park anywhere that is in compliance with parking laws. Is this a residential street or a high traffic road?