parking dilema

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcwlandscaping, Oct 10, 2007.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I have a new account that is on a somewhat busy street that says no parking all the way down, it is not on a corner so i can't park on a side street, and i really don't want to park in the small parking lot as i will probably block people in if i have the trailer. Ide like to be able to bring the trailer (will NEED to for the fall cleanup) for mowing so i can use the larger mowers instead of just the 21"ers in the back of the truck. What are your suggestions on how to go about doing this? Do you think ide have a problem if i just stuck on my flashers for the 20-25mins it will take to mow the property?

thanks
    mike

2. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

i do that all the time just make sure there is enough room to get around you. I have many acounts on streets that say no parking and there is no way im backing in to the drives(most i would never get into anyways)

3. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

Also when you do that put some safety cones out while you park there..I do that all the time and have never had a problem..

4. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

You have at least two(2) ways to go about this.

1. Just park there with flashers and strobes(if you have them) on. Then see if anyone says something.

2. Contact the local municipality to see if the police or local patrol will have a problem. Be sure to tell them who you are and how often/ long you plan to be there

3. Contact the Roads Department in the municipality or county or state depending on what type of road it is. Tell them you situation and see if then can help Maybe they could give you a special privilege, or even a pass to park there
    Don't forget to add how Long and often you will be there.

5. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I have several properties like that. I put out my cones, turn on the flashers, and keep my eye on the traffic when I getting on and off the trailer.
    Cops have gone by and they never say anything.

6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks guys, that makes sense and i'll definitely be doing it that way with the cones and flashers....probably not the strobes though as i'm not going to keep the truck running and i'm not sure how kindly the police around here take to strobe lights being used when not plowing.

7. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

the only reason i suggusted stobes is that you are a parked truck on the side on the road and you want to make sur thay you are not going to get hit.

But good point with strobes when not plowing.
    Do you have any cop buddies? if so ask them how to go about this.

8. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

You should be good w/ just cones. Don't forget to fold your mirror in too. I could see a mirror getting knocked off pretty easily in this situation.

9. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I had a cop tell me once "If you cant back the trailer into the driveway, you shouldn't be driving the truck."

Several times they have stopped and said something to me. Usually they tell me I cant park there and I have to find a better spot. I wouldn't be parked where I am if there was a better spot.

If you have a helper/employee, pull into the driveway and back out. Have your guy stop traffic and help you back out when the coast is clear. If you have to park on the side of the road try to do it around school bus times and rush hours. Usually any time between 9am and 1:30pm around here.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It's not that he can't back the trailer in,...it is that there is not enough room in the lot AFTER h backs it in. MCW, how many lanes are this road, and what is the speed limit there? Is it heavy traffic like in a commercial area?