Parking in the drive at home

Discussion in 'Stolen Equipment' started by kyfireman2004, May 19, 2008.

1. How many of you guys park your equipment in the driveway at home?
    I do if it gets late or I just get lazy after a hard days work.
    But I do lock up the echo stuff on the open tralier........I guess I should bring them into the garage and maybe put a good lock on the trailer gate.
    Any input?
    Lou

2. Edwardsville IL.PLS

Edwardsville IL.PLS LawnSite Member

I do the same thing at times , never had anything stolen but have noticed flat tires sometimes. I think some of the neighborhood kids have nothing better to do . Can't ever catch em though. If I had the money I'd invest in an enclosed trailor. Good luck.

3. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

I park my truck in our drive, have left all kinds of equipment in the bed over the years; however this night I had only left two Blitz 5 gallon gas cans & a nylon bag of tools.
    The next moring the gas cans were stolen, and my bag of tools was emptied out, WTF in the 8 years of living in this "upper middle" class HOA I am now having equipment stolen,IMO it' the economy that's driving more folks to desperate times & need cash.

4. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

You're lucky - I'd be locking that stuff up tight. The times they are a changin' my friend. Good Luck. I hope that's all you ever loose.

5. HandyHomeMedic

HandyHomeMedic LawnSite Member

I work two f/t paramedic jobs at night and run my business during the day. I'm often running way late running from one to the next. I live in a town house where I am not allowed to park the trailers near the residences. Across the road where our pool / clubhouse etc.. are is where they allow us to park. Often, I have to dump the trailer with all the tools on board. I run a 20 ft. chain through all the mowers, blowers and mechanized stuff. The trimmers are locked in their racks. The tool boxes, tool bags and some other miscellaneous stuff sits loose. Recently, I lost a tool box full of box wrenches, wratchet sets, screw drivers etc...

I'm so pissed off at myself for not securing everything but sometimes the pace we keep dictates the level of caution we use. I wish I could find a barn or large garage I could use in exchange for law service / plowing.

6. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

never had equipment stolen at home except by friends,now ex.i have 5 dogs that prevent others from doing this.god bless canines.

7. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

i'd guess drugs over the economy

8. M&SLawnCare

M&SLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Park another car close behind your trailer. That will prevent anyone from dropping the gate, making it impossible to steel anything they can't physically lift.

9. Snyderserv5060

Snyderserv5060 LawnSite Member

I park the truck and trailer in the driveway...I used to me more lax about leaving stuff in the truck until about 2 years ago the neighbors company took one of my echo trimmers and a few misc tools. At the end of the day all the equipment goes in the shed or garage and locked. The mowers stay on the trailer when they are going to be used the next day but the way my parking situation is on the driveway I know when people are coming or going. When I have to leave the mowers for any extended time I lock them up or I back the trailer gate up to a tree or another car so its blocked in. Its annoying especially considering at one point I wouldnt think twice about it in my neighborhood and now I have to.

I actually think I am going to run a few cameras on specific locations at my house and run it through a spare computer...between that and the dogs I hope to knows whats going on.

Good luck

10. Precision Lawns

Precision Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Park it next to a nicer rig!:dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing: